Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Non-Newtonian Fudge

Remember how Violet is working on her candy making badge for Girl Scouts? Well, one of the requirements is to make "at least one recipe of fudge." I've suggested she try three recipes. My reasoning is that fudge varies greatly, from no-cook varieties to the old fashion method of dropping some in cold water to see if it forms a hard or soft ball. I'd like her to see the differences and not think all fudge is the new fangled easy fudge. That, and I really like fudge.

Last week we made the fudge recipe out of the Strawberry Shortcake cookbook. It was no-cook fudge. It came out perfectly. Today we tried a recipe call, ironically enough, "Never Fail Fudge" from the Mallory website based on the books by Laurie Friedman. It failed. Big time.

It was a cook the fudge recipe, and maybe we didn't bring it to a strong enough boil, but whatever happened it didn't set. We have the oobleck of fudge. Not liquid. Not solid. But still delicious. We pulled a few pieces out and within an hour the fudge had resettled to fill in the empty spaces. Handy if you are trying to sneak a piece, but with sticky fudge all over the place you won't be able to sneak it.

Mr. Incredible suggested we transfer it to a jar and use it on hot fudge sundaes. I think he is on to something.

So while I'm not happy the fudge failed (did I mention I love fudge), I'm not unhappy either. Fudge, she is a fickle mistress. It is just a lesson one must learn early in one's cooking career. I find the lesson a complete success.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go eat our non-Newtonian fudge with a spoon.

4 comments:

Fatcat said...

I have made that exact fudge in the past. Very gooey! (I didn't use the same recipe book though).

Ami said...

:::drool:::

And please, share the recipe that worked.

:)

Obi-Mom Kenobi said...

Yup, we can't get no fail fudge to work either. We ended up using it for all manner of chocolate-sauce goodness. Mmm, chocolate goo.

retha said...

I do not know the no fail fudge recipe. I love fudge.
If we plan in advance we make "my mother's" recipe. It get flour in and even if it was not cooked long enough one can re-cook it after wards. But that is too much effort we also eat it just like that, if it flops.