Friday, March 6, 2009

History

While I was out running my errands this morning I stopped in the library to pick up a couple of books I wanted to consider for our history spine next year. One I eliminated while standing there. I brought home an American History Encyclopedia. And also the first 2 volumes of "The History of Us" by Joy Hakim. I hadn't been considering The History of Us, but there it was in the library.

Mr. I. and I have both been leafing through them and I think they are what we didn't know we were looking for. I like the Native American slant, the whole first volume is devoted to pre-European America. We wanted a large dose of American Indian and Women's history mixed in with our American History.

I'm still reading online reviews, and debating if we can afford it. But I don't think we have any other curriculum purchases to be made for next year. Maybe some science. Mr. I. liked it a lot. We'd supplement with outside activities and readings. I'm going to have Violet look it over and read a section from it tomorrow and get her opinion.

Do any of you have experience with it? What did you think?

In other news, Mr. Incredible had a mouse running around inside his sweatshirt earlier tonight.

And they say I'm the crazy one.

Sigh. He was trying to move his mice out of the garbage can filled with birdseed into the backyard and one jumped on him and into his sweatshirt. He couldn't get it out. Only Mr. Incredible could have that happen. I told him he'd better get that thing out before he came to bed tonight. No way was I sleeping with a mouse in the bed.

I wish I had an explanation for you. If I come up with one I'll share. For now, let's just say I'm looking a little more grounded in reality than usual tonight.

7 comments:

Mel said...

I just got the first volume of The Story of the US from paperbackswsap.com and it looks good. It was recommended to me by a friend whose daughter uses it with the K12 curriculum, it's the base of their 5th grade history program. I haven't had a chance to really look at it in depth yet. What turned me off was there are SO MANY volumes. Freaked me out! But we'll see.

Obi-Mom Kenobi said...

Padawan Learner and I are using it as a read aloud and we've enjoyed it a fair amount (we're also reading her Story of Science series as a read aloud). I read the main text and he reads the side bars, etc. independently.

The tone in History of US is a little too young for PL (13) and there's just WAY too many side bars, but it really is an excellent base to work from. I think MelyssaR hit it with it being the base of an approximately 5th grade curriculum.

I'd give it a thumbs up overall, but would definitely drag in other materials to give it a really rounded view of US history.

WritingGoddess said...

We use this series for history and have really enjoyed it. Instead of just reciting dates and names, it gives you a casual, authentic feel for the times. We have the whole series, plus all of her science books, which I believe tend to be substantially higher level reading.

Mother Mayhem said...

In the Little House books, there was once a mouse that was chowing down on Pa's beard as he slept. How gross is that? Blech.

Wendy said...

First of all... The mouse thing. AWESOMENESS! That had me laughing.

We haven't even tackled American history, so I can't help you on "The History of Us", but what you've said and the comments you've had both make me want to add it to our shopping list when my son is a teenager!

So thanks!

MOM #1 said...

I totally love Joy Hakim's Story of US books. We have the whole set. You can get them from the library or even check the homeschooling boards around May - August for a good price on a used set. I don't think I'm going to sell mine. They are awesome.

Read aloud, they are good for elementary and middle school students. As a spine mixed in with other readings and activities, they can certainly be used at the high school level. Shoot, we're reading through them right now, LOL. We're on book # 7.

I would pee my pants if I got a mouse stuck inside my sweatshirt. I'm going to have to go pee right now just thinking about it. Poor Mr. I.

Garden State Kate said...

I'm with Wendy on this...the mouse thing..ewww! That would freak me out..I hope he got it out before bed. ;-)