Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Japan Day

Today was Japan Day at the Freak House. It was our way to celebrate World Thinking Day (the Girl Scout holiday). We read some information on Girl Scouts of Japan we found on their website. Violet liked that their name for Daisy is Tenderfoot and their badges. We found the Girl Scout promise Japanese and she had fun trying to sound it out. She also liked that the girls wear sashes. She strongly prefers sashes over vests for holding badges, pins, etc. She's a traditional sort of gal.

She got out her goodie box from Sabrina and tried some of the candies. She was surprised to find what she thought was gum was actually candy too. And she made up her own game with the Hello Kitty game board that is written in Japanese.

For dinner we made a Teriyaki chicken stir fry. I shouldn't say "we", Violet did all the work. I cut up the raw chicken for her. She made a teriyaki marinade in the afternoon, then added broccoli, water chestnuts, carrots, peapods, bamboo shoots and baby corn. She served it over white rice and soba noodles. I guess I did one other step, I drained the noodles for her when they were cooked.

I worked a lot of hours again today and am at least two thirds done. I'm taking tonight off. I was so brain dead last night I think I was hallucinating while I was blogging!

I'll leave you with Violet's teriyaki marinade recipe. For one pound diced chicken:

1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 teaspoon ginger
salt and pepper to taste

Let meat sit in fridge for 2 hours before cooking.

No comments: