Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Murphy's Law Kind of Day

You know the type. Nothing works. Nothing goes smoothly. None of it is all that bad. Just really annoying. Here are some highlights.

I could not get the jar of salsa open that I wanted to have with my lunch. After I had made the rest of my lunch and it was too late to pick out something else. I tried running hot water on the jar, tapping the lid on the counter (I know we aren't supposed to do that anymore but I was desperate) and grippy things. That damn lid wasn't coming off. First thing Mr. Incredible had to do when he came home tonight was open the jar so it wouldn't be a problem next time. Man, I wished he had been working from home today.

I submitted an article for work. There was an error. I fixed it. It got the okay to be sent to our clients. Then I heard that another part was wrong (I was listening to an audioconference and it came up there). Stop the damn presses while I research it. I haven't done it yet. The administrative assistants will be furious with me. They hate "stop the presses."

A couple of weeks ago I prepared a presentation for my boss and 3 other partners for them to give tomorrow morning. It included the outlook for healthcare under the Obama administration. Including....Tom Daschle as our new Secretary of Health and Human Services. What can I say, he looked like such a shoo-in 2 weeks ago! Ack. Scramble to summarize and send them the info on his stepping down and trying to find out if there was a new nominee. I'm so sorry, Mr. Daschle. I jinxed your appointment.

All day I dropped stuff. In school I totally forgot to do the subject Violet was most looking forward to (reading some Native American folk tales about the stars) yet made her do all the icky ones. I was short tempered and Violet was clingy. It wasn't the prettiest day.

Then the topper happened. I broke the toilet. In technical terms the plastic thingy that connects the plunger thing to the handle thingy snapped. I could flush manually by reaching in the tank, but the handle just flopped on its own. Mr. Incredible rigged a string to flush it with until he can get out to buy the necessary parts. The rig is pretty cool, I'm a bit afraid I won't remember how to do it in the middle of the night when I make my 2 am trip in there.

Good things did happen. I might get a 35-40 hour project to do this month, on top of my other work. When my senior manager asked if I could get the time to do it I assured her I would make the time. It is quite different than my usual work and although it promises to be dull and boring by the end, it will be a different dull and boring. She still wants to iron out some items in the contract with the client first, so it isn't a done deal. Mr. Incredible's company is iffy again, so I'm taking all the work I can get.

I got to chat with Burb Bunny this morning. That always makes me smile.

Mr. Incredible called our insurance guy to ask why our home owner's insurance went up $500. Turns out there was a coding error (They claimed we weren't in the city limits and not covered by the fire protection district. That was such a load of hooey. We are in the city limits and the fire protection district. We're two miles from the fire station. There's a freaking fire hydrant right across the street from our house!). It got fixed and we're back to a normal bill again.

I finally found a place to get bulk couscous! Amazon! My couscous arrives tomorrow. Along with Prince of Wales tea by Twinings, my favorite tea of all time.

I made a good pot of potato soup. Here's the recipe, except I used veggie stock in place of the water and chicken bouillon (and I only used about 3-1/2 cups):

Slow Cooker Potato Soup

Ingredients -
3 Potatoes, peeled & cut into bite size pieces
1 large Onion
1 Carrot, chopped
1 stalk Celery, chopped
1 tablespoon Parsley
5 cups Water
4 Chicken Bouillon Cubes
1 tablespoons Salt
Pepper, to taste
1-1/2 cups milk

Preparation:
Cook on low 10 to 12 hours or on high 3 to 4 hours. During the last hour of cooking, add 1 1/2 cups milk. At the end of cooking take a few ladles of veggies and blend in the blender and return to the pot.

Here's hoping your day is smooth, your tea is hot and your soup is yummy.

3 comments:

MOM #1 said...

OMG, it was that kind of day for me too. About halfway through the day, I decided the Universe was out to get me and just laid back down and caught up on my Young and the Restless. OY!

Wendy said...

Ok ladies, I think that sort of travelled eastward today... Hmm... Hopefully you have a better day today.

Couscous ROCKS! Oh, yum, yum, yum.

Garden State Kate said...

I love couscous..neither of my housemates will eat it. (wt?)
I hope today is better for us all!