Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Soup of the day

I'm stressed out. In not going to go into detail just yet, mainly because I don't have all the detail. Which stresses me out even more. It is economics related. It isn't nearly as bad as many, many, many families have had to deal with. But is a change and you know me, I only like change if things stay exactly like they are. And like I said, the worst part is not knowing exactly what is happening. (Okay, you got it out of me. Mr. I is getting a pay cut. I thought his hours would be cut too, but it doesn't look like that is happening. My work hours are able to increase. But since he won't have more time to help, I don't know where the hours will come from. The immediate aggregate income loss isn't as bad as it could be. I'm just overextended time-wise. I'm stressed. And I can't keep a secret. Don't tell me anything.)

When I'm stressed, I cook. Yesterday it was potato soup. Today it was cheesy cauliflower soup. I followed the recipe almost exactly, I just left out the onion. It was really good. In fact it was so good Violet had a second bowlful. That almost never happens!

Cauliflower-Cheese Soup

INGREDIENTS:
3/4 cup water
1 cup cauliflower, chopped
1 cup cubed potatoes
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1/2 cup diced carrots
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups milk
salt and pepper to taste
4 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese

DIRECTIONS:
1. In a large saucepan, combine water, cauliflower, potatoes, celery,
carrots, and onion. Boil for 5 to 10 minutes, or until tender. Set aside.
2. Melt butter in separate saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour, and
cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, and gradually stir in milk. Return
to heat, and cook until thickened. Stir in vegetables with cooking liquid,
and season with salt and pepper. Stir in cheese until melted, and
remove from heat.

Makes 4 servings.

The plan for tomorrow night is enchiladas. Mr. I is wondering how I'll make that into soup. ;)

5 comments:

Garden State Kate said...

((hugs))
Your soups sound terrific!!

MOM #1 said...

When I'm stressed, I clean. You wanna trade houses for a few days? It's very tidy over here . . . easily kept clean with take-out.

Burb Bunny said...

Sending virtual fuzzy socks and dark chocolate. *HUGS*

Fatcat said...

I'm pretty sure you can make enchilada soup. I make taco soup all the time. I think you should search for a recipe and do it! LoL. It would be funny to see his expression. ;-)

SabrinaT said...

When I am stressed out I clean, and fly around my house at warp speed. I dislike change. So every couple of years I have my spaz moment.
Your soup sounds great!

(hugs)