Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Looking Back and Forward

As the New Year looms upon us, it is time to reflect on the year past and look forward to the new. I like New Year's Resolutions, I always have. So I've been thinking a lot lately about what I would resolve this year. But before we get to that, let's review 2008.

I was just looking back at my New Year's Resolution post from last year. I resolved to take more pictures this year and to post them. I think I managed to do that. I bored you all summer long with photos of my vegetable garden. I did post a few cute pictures of Violet and her adventures.

My last post of 2007 I was resolving not to let the little things get to me and to take back my life. I think I did that very well. At least for me. Sure I did get sucked into a few things I didn't want to be. But not as many as in the past. I went a whole year without a breakdown, that's definitely good! We cut way back in our outside activities and I didn't get involved with daycamp. Both positive steps forward towards not taking crap from everyone else. Funny thing, I reread that post and I can't really remember what had been bothering me. I know a few of the ongoing issues from last year, but I'm really not sure what prompted me to write that. I guess I succeeded in taking back control.

Highlights of 2008 would have to include You & Me Camp (both weekends) with Violet, acknowledging that I love to cook and diving head first into the kitchen, and the success we had in the garden. Goals for 2009 will include more of all that: going to activities with Violet that she wants to do, cooking and gardening.

Workwise I did okay too. I lost the months of March and April to writing a big manual for a client, but boy did I rack up the hours and the appreciation of some important people. I survived the new (now ex) CEO. And I still have a job as we begin 2009. That in itself is nothing to sneeze at.

Now for my goal for 2009: I resolve not to take on any more volunteer work for Girl Scouts. I will continue what I'm doing, but will also look for a replacement for one of my positions. But I won't agree to anything new.

I'm going to try to get someone else to be Juliette Coordinator next school year. I like it, but I don't like that Council keeps signing up every girl waiting for a troop as a Juliette. I expected to have about 12 girls, I have over 40. Not the job I signed on for. I'm either stepping down or doing only the very bare minimum needed, unless Council finds a new designation for the girls who don't want to be Juliettes. In a way I feel bad, because I love the Juliette program and I know there are some girls (Violet included) who love being Julittes. I want them to get the information they need. But Council only cares about getting their registration numbers as high as they can, so every girl they can they register. Even when they don't have a troop for them. Maybe they need to recruit more volunteers before they take on all the girls. But that's just me. So before I become even more cynical and start lashing out, I'm going to step down. Or try to. It isn't always that easy to get out of Girl Scout Volunteer positions.

I'm also going to try to get back into my skinny jeans and my skinny capris. That means Wii Fit and I have many more mornings together.

I think New Year's Resolutions should be about taking control and getting your life in order. So to all of you, have a wonderful 2009! And don't let them give you their crap. It's their crap, they can deal with it. If they don't like it, go all Freak on them!

5 comments:

MOM #1 said...

I'm with you, Freakmom, Here's to letting others keep their own crap all year long - and Freak 'em if they don't.

Happy New Year!

SabrinaT said...

I am yanking my skinny jeans out of the closet in the morning! We are STILL on the waiting list for a Wii Fit! I hope it is here soon. Your workouts sound much better then my treadmill.

Fatcat said...

Way to go Freakmom!

I'm proud of you.

Anonymous said...

No more Kool-Aid for you... :o)

Garden State Kate said...

Happy New Year!
I'd be happy to 'fit' into my 'fat' jeans at this point, but
I'm with you in spirit. ;-)