Saturday, December 13, 2008

Illinois politics and other crazy things

What a week to be from Illinois.

Unless you live in a cave or smartly avoid the news, you probably have heard about our governor. We've known for a long time the guy's corrupt. No one in their right mind would trust him further than they can throw him. But I don't think we knew just how nuts he was. Arrested on Tuesday for trying to sell President-elect Obama's Senate seat, back in the office on Wednesday pretending everything was fine. All the people and lawmakers in the state are calling for him to resign, be impeached, and/or declared incompetent. Possibly all three. He seems oblivious to the fact that anything is wrong.

How proud Lincoln would be. (Who by the way, only adopted Illinois as his home state. He was born in Kentucky. I had a high school history teacher try to claim he was born in Illinois. We questioned her and she dug in. I walked out of her classroom, during class mind you, I was a rebel, and told my guidance counselor the woman was incompetent. He wasn't sympathetic. I should have been homeschooled. How I hated high school.)

Where was I? Oh yeah, I had stupid teachers in high school and our dear governor Blago is insane. Ever feel like the whole world is going nuts?

In brighter news. I picked up Violet's necklace this morning. I've heard her J-Bucks are coming, so I'll give them a little longer before asking again. (J-Bucks are like gift certificates from the Council for selling cookies or fall products without a troop. They are good on stuff from the shop and program fees.)

Our snow is melting as we are getting rain. Tomorrow is supposed to be a lovely mix of rain, sleet, freezing rain, and snow. Is sleet different than freezing rain? I'll have to look that up later. Anyway, it promises to be icky. Violet was out this afternoon making little tiny snowmen. She put the king and queen up in her swingset fort then made a bunch of peasants who were storming the castle. I'm not sure if she's studied her history really well or has read too many old Calvin and Hobbes comics.

For dinner tonight I made a yummy Shephard's Pie. I used ground turkey and frozen veggies.

And I talked to my boss yesterday. In the wake of Thursday's lay offs she reallocated several projects my direction. I'm feeling much more secure in my job. I guess the fact that I get no benefits and have no guaranteed number of hours each week is a bonus. If they have nothing for me, they don't pay me. If they need a lot of extra stuff, I work more. Still, I'm going to do some initial investigation into other possible work. One of the homeschool Juliette moms teaches online. I'm going to ask her about that. Plus, I want to see what I'd need to do to start doing tax work. I think I'd need a refresher course or two, but maybe next tax season worst case, I could work for H&R Block or someone similar.

And best news of all....I've lost one pound since I started Wii Fit!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yup. Lincoln is ours. ;o)