Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Minor Set Back

I've worked out with Wii Fit for 7 days now. The last 2 days I've had to force myself to start. Yesterday I was able to keep going and get a decent workout in. Today I threw in the towel. I was trying to play the balance game with the penguin. If you have the game, you know the one. If you don't, well you control the penguin by leaning back and forth and try to catch fish. It is more fun than it sounds. Well, today I couldn't concentrate at all. Those poor penguins were practically starving to death. I finally got frustrated and packed in.

I actually think it was good for Violet to see me just walk away from it. She gets frustrated with things, then gets upset, and it just escalates into an ugly scene. I'm hoping she learns that it is okay to say enough for one day.

I did get more exercise in later by shoveling 4 inches of snow out of the driveway.

I also had a horrible dieting day yesterday. Now let me clarify, I'm not dieting. I'm just trying to eat healthier. I definitely didn't succeed yesterday. I lost track of how many cookies I ate. I had chips. I had nachos and cheese. I had soda. I had an egg, cheese and turkey sausage sandwich for lunch.

I'm afraid to look at the scale today.

I am redoing my fitness goals. I had originally said I wanted to lose 2 pounds in the next 2 weeks, and a total of 10 pounds over time. Now I want to not gain weight over the holidays. Then I want to lose about 10 pounds before spring. It seems like a bad idea to try to lose weight right before Christmas. So if I can keep my weight steady, I'll be happy.

I'll try again to work out tomorrow morning. Just the fact that I keep going back is good, I know. Plus you do need to take rests. But trust me, even on my better days I really wasn't overdoing. I was barely doing. :snort:

5 comments:

Red said...

I totally love how you are totally not dieting. I have never dieted in my life and hope never to. Do I starve myself? Never, nor have I ever deprived myself. I eat everything, I just don't eat the entire 1/2 gallon of ice cream, or the whole box of cookies. I eat...enjoy...and stop. It will still be there tomorrow.

I am not an exercise guru, but I do enjoy a good brisk walk. Nothing clears my mind better. I just empty out all the clutter and let it all go.

You will find your groove and when you do...watch out world!

Anonymous said...

A penguin? Snort!

The Old Gray Mare said...

I don't think even starving penguins could motivate me to exercise. :o)

I try sporadically to eat healthier & lose these unwanted pounds, but I can never last more than 2 or 3 weeks. Pepsi is my weakness.

Wendy said...

It's definitely OK to walk away. I know when I work out in the mornings (I do 2 hours in the morning and, once in a while, 1 hour at night), if I'm not feeling it, I don't bother. I save my energy to do it later in the day. And I never feel guilty if I don't bother at all!

Eating better is always the best way to go. Me, I realized I was eating a 1,000 calorie bowl of ice cream every day (1/3 of a half-gallon of cookies and cream, smothered with chocolate shell), and I gave that up. Now I still eat ice cream, but much less! lol

Anyhow, in 2006 when I started working out to lose the 13 pounds of baby weight and 20 pounds of what I call "cubicle weight" (from sitting at a desk for 10 years), I started slowly - 3 days a week, 30 minutes a day. I lost 40 pounds and I'm in as good a shape as I was in highschool.

Now, some cookie dough ice cream is beckoning to me...

Oh, and I totally agree that walking away from something that frustrates you is a great lesson. My nephews would pick at each other, and it would escalate into fight.

When I was watching them, I would tell them taht if one said something that bothered the other, then the one who was getting angry should just walk away.

Of course, they never listened... lol

MOM #1 said...

That darn Wii Fit!

I know exactly what you mean.

Every since I threw my back out kicking butt on the Hula Hoop game, I've been very careful not to get overly competitive with it.

Oh, but I do love to feed the penguins . . . I'll be right back . . . on second thought . . . see you tomorrow . . . I've got something I've got to do . . . something important . . . definitely NOT feeding penguins.