Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Happy Cookie Day!

Ever wonder what a life-sized cookie would look like? Well, wonder no more! Here's Violet as a Caramel Delite:




And Yours Truly as a Peanut Butter Patty:



Three of the costumes we got were young girl sized, including the peanut butter patty one. I did not fit into them. I did try to cram myself into a Thin Mint costume. I needed a Thick Mint one. It wasn't pretty. The Caramel Delite costume was a larger sized (not sure why we had one bigger one, but whatever). Funny that the photos I chose to post have Violet in the too big costume and me holding up a too small one.

The girls had a great time today. They got a bit silly at the end. But the moms who bring them are great and calmed them down and whisked them away while my house was still standing. So much nicer than some of the random parents you get when you are a troop leader.

Bingo was a huge hit. I have to remember to tell my committee-mate who wrote it. The Cookie Buckets questions were a bit hard since they'd had no cookie training, but it served its purpose and made them stop and think a minute about safety. They loved the cookie pictures activities. The three visiting girls all made snowmen. One had two snowmen having a snow ball fight with cookies. One of the girls visiting cut out two Caramel DeLites (the cookies with a hole in the middle) and taped them over her eyes like glasses. Pretty creative, no? Needless to say the silliness factor shot up really high from that point on.

Violet did such a super job as Junior Aide. She's definitely going to be deserving of that patch! She called all the whole bingo game, organized the Cookie Buckets, came up with the idea of tape instead of glue for the cookie pictures, wore her sash and a cookie costume, and generally was a superb role model/leader.

She picked out 4 possible Try-its for the last session and explained them to the girls. Then she had them do a secret vote. They chose Art to Wear. Any cool ideas (that aren't too messy to do in my living room), Ami? We're thinking fabric paint on shoe laces and friendship bracelets. Not sure what else.

And speaking of Ami, I just want to say what an amazing Girl Scout leader she was for her girls. She had weekly meetings with girls of all ages, filled with crafts, games and fun! I'm exhausted after just one afternoon and am glad we only do these less than once a month. I'm really thinking after the next one and Violet gets her patch we hold off for a while. A lot goes into a good meeting or Juliette session. My bandana is off to Ami!

I was supposed to return the costumes to Council tomorrow, but we have another winter storm headed our way. I called this morning to see if anyone else has them reserved, or if I could keep them an extra day. They had no one else borrowing them this week and said to come when the roads are clear. I'm glad I asked because if they needed them we were going to run over as soon as we were done and we really didn't want to go anywhere once they left. We'll go on Thursday when sunny skies are predicted.

So when a Girl Scout comes to your door or you see her outside the grocery store selling cookies, remember us in our cookie costumes. Support silliness. Support Girl Scouts!

2 comments:

Ami said...

Let me think about the try-it. Does it HAVE to be in your living room and non-messy?

Thanks for the nice words.

::sniff::

In Oregon, the cookies are 'Samoas' and 'Tagalongs' instead of Carmel Delites and Peanut Butter Patties.

I prefer Thin Mints. Frozen. The hard part is waiting until they get cold to break open the first box of the season.

:)

Jen said...

Where did you get these costumes? My girl is selling for the first time and I am the leader. I would love to get my hands on these. Thanks for any help u can give me.