Saturday, May 30, 2009

What a shock

My mom called late this afternoon. She'd just gotten a call from my cousin. They found my aunt (mom's sister) this afternoon, she'd died at home by herself. She hadn't been sick. She had spoken on the phone that morning to her aunt (my great aunt), hadn't mentioned not feeling well or anything odd. No one knows what happened for sure. Mom and I suspect blood clot or stroke. It was a great shock to us all. She was 68.

I called my cousin and spoke to her briefly. She doesn't know if they'll have a service or not. (My family isn't big on memorial or funeral services. I can't explain it. I wish I could, then after 20 years I could finally explain it to Mr. Incredible.) If they do, we'd like to go. They live about 1000 miles away. That has always seemed too far. Tonight it seems even more distant than ever.

I guess this illustrates my post from yesterday more than I could have ever imagined. Celebrate the small stuff. Celebrate it all. Every day.

7 comments:

Obi-Mom Kenobi said...

I'm so sorry.

Fatcat said...

I'm so sorry to hear that. I had a similar shock a couple of years ago when my mom's brother died suddenly of an aortic aneurysm. It's really hard to deal with when it happens so suddenly.

Donna said...

So sorry to hear about your Aunts passing! It sure does catch you off gaurd when it happens out of the blue like this : (

Wendy said...

I'm very sorry to hear about this. Your family is in my thoughts.

MOM #1 said...

O. My. Goodness.

I'm very sorry to hear about this. It's so sad, and very shocking. I'll be thinking of your whole family.

Ami said...

What an awful thing to have happen.

You're right. One just never knows. Ever. We all have limited time, and it's probably good that we *don't* know exactly how limited it is.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Garden State Kate said...

(hugs) I am so sorry to hear
about your loss.
I hope you are able to be there
if they decide to have a service
for her. You are in my thoughts.