Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Lucky Girl

Violet has been hunting clovers this spring, 4-leaf clovers. She'd never found one before, even after hours of hunting. She'd hunt in the park, at camp, in our yard. A few weeks ago she found her first one. She's been pressing it.

Then on Sunday she found 2 more in our backyard. Today I lost count of how many she found, 7, I think. She's planning on making them into a bookmark. We'll either laminate them or use clear sticky Contact paper, I'm not sure yet. Depends on whether or not I figure out how to use the lamination machine that sits in my office.

I told her this must mean she is going to have a terrific summer.

I'm secretly wondering though, why so many 4-leaf clovers all of a sudden. We've lived here 10 years and these are the first that have ever been found in our yard.

Was toxic waste spilled on our yard or has it seeped in?

Could it be all those Chemlawn chemicals our neighbors insist on putting on their lawns have worked their way to our lawn?

What has caused this sudden clover genetic mutation?

When I grow tomatoes that are shaped like pyramids and 4-foot long green beans I'll really worry.

3 comments:

Ami said...

I used to LOVE looking for those!!

Here. Go. Sing along.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN-uMmfIoIE

Garden State Kate said...

Isn't it amazing how we cannot even enjoy the 4 leaf clover any more without having to worry about why we are having mutants?
Sad, sad day. Congrats to Violet..I would like to think
Mother Nature is just tossing some awesome Mojo her way! ;-)

Gail said...

We used to live in a place that had scads of 4-leaf clovers. And this was back in the days of my middle school career, before toxic waste had been invented. My parents hypothesized that once a clover had mutated to 4-leaf it kept reproducing itself, hence we were seeing a really big family springing from a single mutant clover.

Then again, I also found the occasional 5 or 6 leaf clover ... I forget how hight the leaf count went, but it was really amazing ... so maybe it WAS a toxic waste spill, or else aliens happened to land in that field. Either explanation may also explain why my brother turned out so weird, come to think of it. Hmmm.