Sunday, May 17, 2009

Applesauce Brownies

Disclaimer: we haven't tried this recipe yet. When Violet makes it on Friday we'll taste them before taking them to the greyhound people and make sure they are good. But the recipe sounds good.

Ingredients:

1 c. firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 butter
2 eggs
1 c applesauce (regular or cinnamon, Violet is opting for regular)
1 t vanilla
1 c flour
1/4 c unsweetened cocoa
1 t cinnamon (Violet is leaving this out)
1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
1/2 c chopped nuts (again, being omitted)

Heat over to 350 F. Grease 9-inch square pan. In large bowl, combine brown sugar, butter and eggs, mix well. Stir in applesauce and vanilla, blend thoroughly. Stir in flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix well. Add nuts. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Optionally (yeah, she's not doing this either) sprinkle with powdered sugar, cocoa and cinnamon.

Violet continues to make good progress on her project. Today she typed up the ingredient lists of everything she's taking. Tomorrow we'll figure out how to print them out and make it into little cards to set out with the food. She also bought the ingredients for her trail mix. I won't bother posting the recipe for trail mix. Buy a bunch of good stuff, mix together. There, I guess I did post it.

Mr. Incredible took Violet to Farm and Fleet to get the trail mix ingredients, the best store ever to buy bulk snack items. She chose peanuts, almonds, dried cranberries, dried pineapple, sunflower kernels, raisins and chocolate buttons (generic M&Ms) for her trail mix.

On their way out to the store they told me they saw a hummingbird on our lilac sipping nectar. That is the first one we've ever spotted in our yard!

I held to my not working too hard pledge, although I did put in a little more time than I intended. Oh well, they pay me by the hour. I'm not quite finished with the draft of the huge project. I'll finish it tomorrow and send it. Then I'll wait for it to come back with directions for changes. I know there will be changes that I'll have to make. I just don't know how many or how long it will take to get it back.

In the meantime, I'll relax a little.

2 comments:

MOM #1 said...

Stop it with all the delicious sounding recipes. I'm running out of paper and ink! ;-)

SabrinaT said...

WOW, does Violet want to come give cooking lessons to a little old lady in Japan???