Thursday, May 28, 2009

Sew What?

We've been working hard here at the Freak house, catching up with all those things that I've promised to do with Violet but never seem to get around to. I started teaching her how to sew. She's practiced with both the sewing machine and by hand. She's coming along nicely and is very good at walking away for a few minutes when she gets frustrated.

She's made a couple of little projects: 2 blankets, a sleeping bag and a pillow for her new pet rock. The biggest item is only about 4 inches square. I think it is harder to work with a small object personally. She is one step away from finishing the sewing badge in the Junior book. She's going to make the puppet that is in there (for those of you with Girl Scouts). Not today, maybe tomorrow.

We also took the flower petals she's been pressing and drying and made them into a book marker using clear contact paper. She was a bit skeptical but was really happy with the final look.

I finished the new valences for the windows in her room and closet. Her old ones had Peter Rabbit on them, it was overdue. Her new ones are a cat print on one side and paw prints on the other.

I'll post photos sooner or later.

Tonight is our last Girl Scout service unit meeting of the school year. Yippee! I'll be bringing home with me lost of spring registration forms to process I expect. In good news we're having Root Beer Floats at the meeting for treats (I know Mother Mayhem is shouting "Don't drink the floats!"). And we are finding out who the new volunteers will be for next year for some of the positions. I'm staying as registrar but have resigned as Juliette coordinator. Not sure if they lined anybody up yet. The bigger question mark is service unit manager. The one to run everything. The one the rest of us are supposed to answer to (beside the paid council staff of course). I know there someone new coming in, but it has been very hush, hush. Why do they do that all the time? It is Girl Scouts for Pete's sake, not the CIA.

I'm really curious about who it will be. There are a couple I'm silently saying "not her, please not her." Not that they aren't nice, they are. One of my not hers, always seems to think I should be doing additional things that don't fall in my job description. She's a little bossy, and guess what? I'm not going to be bossed into anything that isn't listed on the job description. The other is very nice, but a bit of a marshmallow. I don't think she'll be as organized or on top of things as she should be. Yes, I know it is a volunteer position, but still, we're a very large, currently well run service unit. I'd like to see it stay that way. Or you know me, I'm a freak, I'll change service units, again. I have limited loyalty to anyone outside my family and to a different degree, my employer.

Well, I'll know one way or another in about 3 hours. You can bet I'll be sharing my feelings on the outcome, whether you want to hear them or not. :Grin:

2 comments:

SabrinaT said...

OH, root beer floats! Have 1 for me....

MOM #1 said...

Sewing little stuff is definitely harder than sewing big stuff. Have Violet try to sew something big. It'll be easier and she'll have something she can really wear or use.


I'll be waiting for those photos.