Sunday, June 1, 2008

Sprouts!

Violet came in from the backyard the other day (yes, I'm a little behind in my blogging, exposing the truth took it out of me for a few days) and said some of our bean seeds had sprouted. We checked again yesterday and there are a bunch of things coming up: cucumber, carrots, onions, peas, corn, spaghetti squash! It is looking good out there. Today we have to go out and figure out where to put in the eggplants, they aren't looking so good in their tiny containers. I don't think the lettuce is coming up or the peppers from seed, so some can go in those spots. I think we just have to take our chances and plant them with something and hope they don't both grow.

I'll have to get some photos, won't I?

Friday we went to my folks house for the day. They only live 20 miles away but it had been ages since we'd been there. Needless to say my mom was more than a little anxious to see Violet. We got off to a rocky start. It was supposed to rain and the storms go to the south of us. We headed out to the Girl Scout's bank to deposit a bunch of the registration money I'd received from troops for spring registration (I collect the registration forms and money, deposit the money in the G.S.'s bank, then organize the troop info for our service unit and Council, then turn it all in with the bank receipt to Council. A really fun job for an organizational nut like me.)

While we were waiting for them to complete our transaction the wind picked up. Way up. The power flickered off and reset their computers. The wind kept up. The power flickered three more times, each time reseting their computers requiring them to start over on our transaction. They needed to make a call somewhere and have something completely reset and t was going to be another 15 minutes, if the power stayed on. At that point they offered me a handwritten receipt and to mail the computer ones later. I wanted the receipt to go to Council directly but didn't have the address (I don't know why it wasn't on their official deposit slips I had!). I asked for a phone book and found the address and left that with the bank. I took my written receipt as proof that I'd left the money at the bank. I had been there over a half an hour with Violet bored to death, and suddenly remembered I'm just a volunteer, I had other things to do.

The winds did die down a bit while we were in the bank, so in some ways I'm just as glad we were in there and not driving through country roads like we would have been. There were lots of branches down, but we didn't see any real damage. We had a nice visit with my parents and made plans to go back next Friday.

Yesterday Mr. Incredible and I went on a date. We hired the girl across the street to babysit and we went to an afternoon movie (the new Indiana Jones) and an early dinner (Bennigan's). Violet had a great time with the babysitter, she just adores her. She'll be a senior next year, we aren't sure how much longer we'll get to use her to stay with Violet. We don't go out much, but it is so nice having someone so reliable so close by. And it is an extra security factor that her parents are right next door and she knows all the other neighbors too.

Today I have to get back to work. It has been WONDERFUL not working for the last week. I'm also going to see if I can get Mr. Incredible to take us out to look at backyard pools. We've been talking about it, I think it would be nice to go ahead and do it. We'll see.

No comments: