Monday, June 30, 2008

Happy to be home

We did go to Wisconsin. The decision was made at 8:30 Saturday morning and by 9:40 we were on the road. That's why I had to pack before we knew we were going. I couldn't have gotten us ready that quick.

Turned out you can't get there from here. We got to within a few miles of their house and hit a detour. We followed it, thinking it would take us around town. After about 15 minutes of getting further and further away we called. Oh, we forgot to tell you about that. Yeah, you did. You shouldn't have taken the detour. Now you tell us. We got rerouted and only an hour after we should have gotten there we arrived.

It was fun seeing the cousins and the sister-in-law. Violet is the same age as one cousin and gets along really well with both the girls (the boy child is only 5, so he doesn't count). They played and talked. We walked the dogs. We ate dinner at 9 pm. Yes, they finally got around to feeding us at bedtime. SIL was also a little confused by that. She really wanted to get the kids into bed.

Violet actually opted to camp out in the basement with the girls. It was quite iffy whether or not she'd make it. I did let SIL know about the recent overnight incidents, since she was sleeping in the downstairs bedroom closest to the girls. She's a mom, she's been there done that with aborted sleepovers. Violet came up once right after she got in bed, but Mr. Incredible talked her into to trying it a little longer and she made it. Yippee!!

I didn't sleep so well. The air mattress was uncomfortable. The house was LOUD. MIL was up watching TV late. Then Mr. Incredible and his dad started in on some sort of plumbing project in the bathroom next to where I was trying to sleep. ACK. Violet is right. You should always sleep at home in your own bed.

The next day they planned this wonderfully educational outing for the kids. A trip to a farm to see cows. Oh boy. I grew up in the country. I've seen cows. I didn't want to go. Then when we got there the farmer announced we had to walk through manure to get to the cows. No thank you. Had I been told about that before we left home and I could have brought mud shoes and a change of clothes with, I'd have been all for it. Upon arrival, I was miffed. Farmer had boots for the kids to borrow and off they went. Mr. Incredible and I watched nesting barn swallows and their babies. We did get some good pictures of the boy child in pink flowered boots that will come in handy some day, like at his wedding.

We got home late last night, and today was spent catching up. Violet played at Red's house. (Red's mom is doing very well after her surgery 2 weeks ago. She's up and about, just slow.) We saw helicopters hovering around all afternoon. Turned out a guy had been caught (a link is there, I just can't make the color change) with illegal neurotoxins in his house not far from us. Very weird.

Tomorrow Red might come here to swim and play. Still more catching up to do. And lots of 4th grade planning. I'll start posting about school plans as soon as I get them figured out. For now I'm just happy to be home.

1 comment:

The Old Gray Mare said...

Sounds like the visit was a mixed bag, but turned out okay. I totally agree with Violet about sleeping in your own bed!

That news story is so weird. Makes me wonder what he was going to do with the stuff.