Monday, June 23, 2008

Fizz, crackle, pop

Violet started her science class at the community college today. It takes place afternoons this week through Thursday. There are 8 kids in her class, with only one other girl. Violet was disappointed that there were so many boys, but we got her seated next to the other girl and I assured her that she knows more about science than any of those stinky old boys so she shouldn't let them intimidate her.

I took my laptop to the college and hung out in the library working on a presentation for work. Until I wanted to peek into her classroom to make sure she was settling in. She was, so I got some coffee and sat reading (sadly, more stuff for work, but later this week I'll do fun reading). After I picked her up she told me about making oobleck and mixing oil and various other liquids. And her teacher taught them the differences between solids, liquids, gases, plasma and something else she couldn't remember.

When we got home she had a package waiting for her: the first birthday box to arrive! Thanks, Piggy and Sweetums! It was Hello Kitty-erific and I can't get her to quit coloring to go get ready for bed. :grin:

Follow up note to the overnight issues. I was talking to my mom on Sunday and she said when Violet spent the night at their house a few weeks ago she wanted to come home about 10:30 pm. We'll skip past the "why am I just hearing about this now?" part and concentrate on the, "I guess she isn't up to an overnight right now" part. She had done lots of overnights there before, so she must be in a phase where she wants to be at home at night. I'm sure she'll want to go there overnight again and will want to try an overnight at Tinkerbell or Red's house, but for now she can stay here.

By the way, my mom said she just asked Violet what she'd be doing if she were at home and she said her Papa would be reading to her. So my mom read to her and they both went to sleep and she was fine. Still, maybe I should have known.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad the package was well received! Sweetums and I had so much fun picking things out for Violet!

Don't worry about the overnights. ;o)

MOM #1 said...

I'm glad Violet had is having a good time at science camp. Keep telling her not to let the boys intimidate her when it comes to science. That's a lesson she's going to need to have DEEPLY in bedded in her constitution. LOL.

Moms sure to have a way of being helpful and exasperating all at the same time, don't they? I just hope ours don't think of us the same way one day. *SIGH*

Fatcat said...

I'm jealous of the science class opportunity. That sounds great! I hope Violet has a great time, despite those silly old boys!

The Old Gray Mare said...

Happy to hear that science camp was a success! I know she had been looking forward to going, so I'm glad was a good experience despite all the boys.

I would just let the overnight thing slide for awhile. My boys didn't stay overnight anywhere, even Granny's, until they were in their teens.

Then suddenly they were going to camp and on mission trips for a week or two at a time. Then Brownie was away for 5 weeks one summer, and the next thing I knew he was away to college.

Wendy said...

I'd love to jump into that summer science class myself! I was always terrible at science, so I wouldn't mind brushing up.

Parents are awful funny about telling us things about our children, aren't they? Sometimes they say things to our kids that our children should definitely not hear, or don't "report" on items of importance for a while. It's odd.

And my first question with a babysitter or family member who has been taking care of my son is always, "How did it go?" And I generally expect a complete answer!

Ah, well... It is good to know that Violet is doing better with overnights, and she will become more comfortable as time goes on. Truly. :-)