Thursday, June 5, 2008

Motivation

We have a library book due tomorrow. Hank the Cowdog #27. Violet had me check it out for her via interlibrary loan. She insists on reading book series in order. She's gotten a little tired of Hank and is ready to take a bit of a break. I refuse to return the book just to have to re-interlibrary loan it in a couple of weeks when she decides she does want to read it. She's had it checked out for 3 weeks (most things we can renew, interlibrary loan books are a pain because our library has to check with their library...I say 3 weeks is plenty of time).

Anyway, she didn't want to finish although she was about half way through it. Then I told her that was fine, she could pay the late fee, 10c a day, for keeping it longer. What do you know, she's sitting on the couch reading it so we can drop it off tomorrow morning on the way to my folk's house.

It just took a little motivation from the piggy bank. I think she learned a good lesson today.

6 comments:

Red said...

The power of the almighty dollar. I actually grinned when I read this one. You go mom!

Anonymous said...

Good one, mom!

The Old Gray Mare said...

I love it!

Wendy said...

Very important lesson. My son thinks he can get what he wants, when he wants it (and that is our fault, as parents), so we are currently doing our best to teach him the "value of a dollar".

dariasmama said...

*L* I have found that the power of the purse is very persuasive as well. I think you're fabulous.

MOM #1 said...

Perfect! You just mastered an advanced play from the Professional Mom's Handbook!

Great Motivation!