Friday, June 27, 2008

garden update

Every afternoon I've been out weeding and tending the garden. I'm feeling a little like the Little Red Hen. But I'm rather proud of how good it is doing. The rainy weather has helped too.

Our onions are definitely our best crop:



Did I tell you Violet took some in to her teacher? The teacher's brand new husband (she had returned from her honeymoon the night before the class began) was a little confused as to why someone bought them onions. Until it was explained that one of her students grew them in her garden. Then he got it.

The green peppers are getting buds on them:



And the tomatoes have their first flowers:




The broccoli and cauliflower are looking pretty good:



Both the free range and caged cucumber are growing:



I can't believe how good the spaghetti squash is looking! Can you believe how big it is?



I'm not sure about my little eggplants though. This is the best looking one of the three surviving plants:



Did I tell you we have current bushes too? I've been picking them every day with this crazy idea to try to make jelly:



My supervisor:



And Violet, enjoying the pool:




Still no word on the weekend plans. In between gardening and swimming we've laid a bunch of stuff out to take including sleeping bags, towels and a cooler. I suppose the coffee pot would be pushing it.

5 comments:

MOM #1 said...

It looks like your garden survived in spite of that pretty extreme weather you had earlier this month.

Violet looks like she is having a wonderful time. That pool looks very refreshing!

Ami said...

The pool looks so good to me right now. It was 99 here today.

I hate the heat.

Anonymous said...

I don't know which is more tempting... That pool or the tomato plants. Way to keep cool, Violet!

Donna said...

Your garden looks GREAT! You have done a great job with it. The pool looks refreshing too - I think we have the same type of pool as you do, We sure are using ours everyday : )

Fatcat said...

I hope your weekend went a LOT better than expected!

Your garden looks really good.