Friday, June 6, 2008

Stormy Weather

There was a lot of stormy weather today, wasn't there? And yesterday and all week, and if it hasn't hit you yet, it likely will tomorrow or next week. Here's our stormy weather story.

We went to my folks again today. My dad and I went into town. (My parents live in a very small town, pop. 300, "in town" is the next town over where you have to go to get anything: milk, gas, a bank, a store, an education past grade 6. In their town you can go to the one church or get a drink at either of the two bars. Wonder why I ran to college at age 17 and never moved back? My mom asked me the other day if they moved if I would ever go back. I couldn't think of a single reason to.)

Sorry, I digressed.

We went to Farm & Fleet, the coolest chain of stores ever, not to be confused with Fleet Farm owned by the outcast brother of the Farm & Fleet family. Fleet Farm just isn't the same (I suppose loyal Fleet Farm shoppers say the same about Farm & Fleet). At Farm & Fleet you can get everything for your farm (including hormones for your horse or tools to repair your tractor), your car, plumbing or electrical supplies, work boots, overalls, gardening implements, lawn care. You're thinking, why on earth does Freakmom love this place? It doesn't sound up her alley at all! I do love the camping aisle, I had to keep myself from buying the 3 room tent they had on sale today. But the best part is their snack aisle! They sell the world's best and cheapest bulk snacks! They had one pound bags of whole cashews on sale today for $3.99! That's less than a gallon of gas! I bought trail mix and honey roasted cashews today. Dad bought orange slices. They have every nut or candy you can think of in big bags, very tasty and cheap!

Gosh, I should retitle this post "The Digression".

While we were browsing the snacks and eyeing the lanterns in camping, rain poured. Since it quit by the time we left, we went to the gas station so I could fill up (I'm close enough to Chicago to get socked with extra taxes at home). It is always cheaper by them, but today it was only $4.03! A good 25c cheaper than here. We heard a big clap of thunder on our way to the gas station but cheap gas was incentive enough to fill up.

When we got back to their house we broke into the snacks and were sitting around talking and chomping, when the tornado sirens went off. It was dark but not too bad. My mom is never one to go to the basement, she grew up in hurricane country and even rode out Camille in Ocean Springs, Mississippi only blocks from the beach with a 3 year old (me). But I think she wanted to set a good example, so she suggested Violet move her treasure box she was exploring to the basement and play there. We moved down and took our snacks with us. It never got bad there, but a tornado was sighted in town. I read there was no damage so it must not have touched ground.

We hung out at their house until the last orange and red had moved off the radar, then drove home and hit quite a downpour on the way.

To sum up: we took cover from a storm that didn't come near us, shop at Farm & Fleet, not Fleet Farm (and definitely not Farm King - a bitter disappointment), and who ever thought $4.03 for gas would be called cheap!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Orange slices? MMM

I get sidetracked easily.

The Old Gray Mare said...

I would have never thought of the farm supply store selling candy and nuts. Around here we have the Tractor Supply chain. I've been in there to buy bird seed and dog food, but I've never seen anything to get excited over.

Glad you are safe from the storms. We've had bad storms here too, but none close enough to us to get worried about.

MOM #1 said...

We haven't had any actual tornadoes lately, but SERIOUS wind. I've been trying to stay home so I don't get blown off the road, plus gas is too high for me to bother going anywhere that isn't a true medical emergency.

$4 a gallon!?

I guess I should be happy I'm down south . . . we're in the $3.50 range, but that's still too rich for me.

*SIGH*