Saturday, June 7, 2008

Camp-erific

We went to tour another Girl Scout camp today. It is the one Violet and I will be spending 2 nights at this summer. Now I have been to a lot of different camps over the years, but I have to say I was truly impressed today. I think this is the camp I want Violet to do her first solo camping trip at (solo as in just girls and counselors, no moms).

It was only an hour and ten minutes away. On the edge of suburbia, not a 6 hour bus ride to northern Wisconsin like our camp the past 2 summers. It was very compact, but not crowded, and it had everything a Girl Scout camp should have, and nothing it shouldn't.

The units had platform tents with washstands and latrines, but the latrines were modern. There was a real building and about 4 stalls in each one. They had a Nature Center, where the girls do all their nature related programming. An art house, with tons of art supplies. There was an outdoor in-ground pool, complete with a nice shower house (although I was disappointed that the shower house had a roof, there is nothing like showering under the stars). There was a pond for canoing, and an archery field. A dining hall. Lots of fire pits. And, ready for this: a creek for "creek stomping". Violet and I psyched to go creek stomping. Yep, you wear water shoes or old tennies and stomp and hike and explore the creek! Cool, huh?

It was a really nice, rustic feeling, natural camp. Clean, well-kept, terrific staff, good equipment with lots of choices, but not over the top. The camp we are going to for one night this summer was over the top. It was the camp I went to as a kid and they've built it up too much in my opinion. There are both indoor and outdoor pools. There are cabins and teepees as well as platform tents. Not really any canoing options. Everything is really spread out, which is fine but I know it will make Violet complain - I've heard her complain that her feet hurt.

Today's camp was exactly as it should be. I'm so excited to go! And so excited for Violet when she's ready to tackle it on her own!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOOHOO!