Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Tank Girl

No, not the 90's cult classic film starring Lori Petty or the comic book. I'm talking about Violet and her quest for fish.



Violet got this idea last weekend that she'd like to have a pet goldfish. One of her very own, not just a fish in Mr. Incredible's big tank. My boss had given her a PetSmart gift card for Christmas, so we said sure. I had no idea how needy goldfish have gotten since the 70's.

Did you know you don't keep goldfish in a little bowl any more? I didn't. And that they need 2 gallons of water per inch of fish? And that they need a filter in their tank? And that a 20 gallon tank minimum is recommended? It has been quite a lesson in fish this week.

Violet started by checking out all the books on goldfish from the library and reading them cover to cover. I took her to the pet store and we picked out a little tank and a few accessories. We brought it home. Read the books some more. Did some Google searches. Went back to the pet store and exchanged it for a bigger tank. We ended up with a 5.5 gallon tank. (The return trip to the pet store is probably a blog entry in itself.)

Today she cleaned her tank, plastic plants and gravel. Arranged the gravel and plants in the tank. Put the decorative stones in the tank. Called her grandpa who made the table it is sitting on to make sure it is strong enough to hold 5 gallons of water and the gravel. Cleaned out part of the homeschool room to put the table and tank. Waited until Mr. I got home so he could change the location of the tank. (Don't ask, we knew he would.) And is currently filling the tank with water and goldfish solution (I'm blanking on what it is really called but it dechlorinates it). Then she'll put the filter in and start it up.

On Saturday, Mr. I said he'd take her out to the pet store again to buy 2 goldfish. The tank is supposed to run a few days before the fish move in. I believe the fish have already been named Bubbles and Treasure. Cross your fingers that after all this work Bubbles and Treasure live to see February.

9 comments:

Ami said...

If Mr. Incredible already has a healthy tank up and running, it would be an excellent idea for you to take some of the gravel from it and hide it under the gravel in the new tank as well as a quart or so of water to get your biological filter action going. A quarter teaspoon of SEA salt (available at your local aquarium supply) will be good for the water, too.

MOM #1 said...

I was going to suggest the same thing to you that Ami did, put some of the water from Mr. I's tank into the new tank.

We had goldfish for a while . . . over a year before they just died.

It was so sad. Baby Boy didn't seem to mind . . . but Mom #2 and I cried for days over them. We tend to get over attached.

Be sure to post photos of the new pets once they make their appearance.

Mel said...

How fun! We have always had fish. Brenna is partial to bettas. They live a long time, about 2-3 years each. She's on her 3rd one. Good luck!

SabrinaT said...

I wish (YOU) and Violet much luck in your endeavor for goldfish. Christopher won a goldfish, we loaded MR. fish up with a nice Japanese style home and did our best... In the end Mr. goldfish well he didn't take to his new pad.

Anonymous said...

Sweetums had 2 goldfish once. They lasted about a week. :o(

retha said...

Fish sounds too much work to me.
Ethan has a hamster and that thing is already one year older than they said she will grow. I think she is a Methuselah-hamster.

I know that moving to other-places-thing. I do hear 'no, put it where you want it' when I ask. Just to get back and find it some place else.

Wendy said...

Hooray for the fishies! I wish Violet much success with them.

And I have something for you at my blog.

Jessica said...

I had a similar yearning for goldfish 2 summers ago--I wanted my then three-year-old to have some. Instead, we ended up putting a garden pond in the backyard!

We have no filter system, no fountains, etc.! The biological balance is the only filter system and it is what keeps everyone alive, healthy & happy.

Good luck to Violet--she'll have great fun having fishies!

Garden State Kate said...

Best of luck!
We also had to get P
her "own" tank..it now holds the crabs...the fish didn't all make it,
she lost interest and F.D. added the last remaining one to his tank.
Can't wait to 'see" them.