Sunday, January 11, 2009

Snowshoeing and the Weekend

We had a busy weekend. Violet had a great time at the birthday party Saturday night. The movie was Wall-E. She loves that movie. While she was there Mr. Incredible and I tried out a local Mexican restaurant, it wasn't bad, and went to K-Mart, Walgreens and the grocery store. Do we know how to live it up or what?

I was so glad Mr. I. was available to drive us. It had snowed almost a foot the night before and we were still getting some flurries. The roads weren't great, but he didn't have a problem driving us in his Jeep. Poor Violet. At the end of the party she was tired and hungry. Then on the way to the Jeep she slipped and fell into a snow bank. She didn't have her gloves on and her pants got soaked. Luckily, Mr. I. keeps the no sew blanket she made for him last year in the Jeep, so she could wrap up in that on the way home.

Today we had just a few flurries but mostly sun. The temperatures were in the low 20s. It was perfect for snowshoeing. Since my Southern friend, Mom #1 was asking about what it means to snowshoe, I'll tell you all about it. First, here's a picture of Violet and Mr. I. on their snowshoes from last winter.



Basically you strap the snowshoes (which don't really resemble tennis rackets at all) onto your boots. You use poles, just like the ones you use to cross country ski (yeah, I know, if you've always lived in warm climates I'm sure that doesn't clear it up at all), and you walk the trails in a nature preserve. Usually you enjoy the quiet and the forest sounds. If you go with a 9 year old girl, you hear whining.

We went to a bog right by our house. I'm not sure the difference between a bog and a marsh, but the conservation district that owns it makes a big deal out of saying it is a bog. It is just a smidge too far walk even in summer, so we drove over. Once there you get all bundled up and head out. We met several cross country skiers on the trails. They all had these tiny dogs with them. The snow was deeper than the dogs were tall. We can't find any place near us that has dedicated snowshoe trails so we have to share with the cross country skiers. Generally they are a nice group. It is polite to try not to step on the ski trails.

And that's basically it. It is fun. You do feel it in your legs afterward. But it isn't nearly as exhausting (or fast) as cross country skiing. I love to cross country ski and was thinking we should get those next. But then I saw Violet still having some coordination issues with her snowshoes, so it should definitely wait a few winters.

I wore leggings under my jeans and two pairs of socks and a scarf and earmuffs so I was nice and warm. Violet had her snowsuit on and a hat and gloves. Cold was the only thing she didn't complain about. We were out for about an hour. That was plenty for a first time out this winter. Next weekend looks pretty busy too, so I don't know when we'll get back out.

Here are the snowshoes I have (in pink just like these), they are from L.L. Bean.

5 comments:

Gail said...

That sounds so fun! Well, except for the whining part, which I get anyway without having to invest in snowshoes.

But, alas, we've moved to St. Louis, so no snow for us. Maybe someday we'll move back to New Hampshire.

MOM #1 said...

Oh!

Well the snowshoes I Googled didn't look anything like that. Thanks for the "real" picture.

I can't imagine myself having fun just walking around in the snow, but I guess it's one of those things you have to actually experience to understand, LOL.

I appreciate you taking the time out to explain it. For the life of me I couldn't even imagine what you were talking about.

Sounds like y'all (sending a little Southern charm your way) had a great weekend. Have a fun week!

The Old Gray Mare said...

These parts aren't snowshoe country either, so thanks for explaining. The snowshoes don't look like the picture I had in my head at all.

As a kids, we spent hours & hours outside playing. Now I hate to be cold & usually just run out to the mailbox or between the car and the store.

retha said...

The only snowshoes I know off are those tennis racket stuff you see in movies. And that normally improvised.

Anonymous said...

You had Mexican food and then went to K-Mart, Walgreens, and the grocery store? You people DO love to live dangerously don't you? LOL

Sorry about Violet falling into a snow bank. Hope she didn't catch a cold. :o)

Snowshoeing? Hm...