Friday, January 16, 2009

Notes from the deep freezer

It has been too cold here to blog. Not really, I just have been trying to get caught up with stuff. But it has been too cold. Today it warmed up some. It got up to 1 degree. Fahrenheit that is. The temperature on Thursday never got above minus 5. The wind chills have been around minus 20 and below. Have I told you that Mr. Incredible walks about a mile from the train station to his office in downtown Chicago? Today he thinks his nose got frost bite, even though he had his face wrapped in a scarf.

Schools have been closed the last two days. That's a smart move. It is too cold for those kids to be walking to the bus stops and standing there. Although many parents wouldn't have their kids do that and would drive them, there are enough kids who wouldn't have any other option. Our district has now had at least 3 winter weather days plus the teacher's strike. That's a full extra week they'll have to go in June. Violet and I did school the last 2 days saying we'd rather be off when it was safe to go outside.

I've been talking up one of my Girl Scout friends, trying to see if she'll take the Juliette Coordinator job next year. I figure it is worth a shot. Her daughter wants to leave her troop next year and the friend is a sucker for volunteer positions. We'll see. I hope she only does it if she wants to. I'd like to keep her a friend more than find someone else to take the position (because I've decided I'm resigning with or without a replacement).

Tomorrow is my dinner with the ladies. I don't know how late I'll be so I probably won't post right away. But I will let you know how the purple monkey socks go over. There is a 40% chance of snow tomorrow. Cross your fingers and toes that we don't get it. I really want to go to my party and I don't want to drive there in snow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't keep us in suspense! How did the monkey socks go over? :o)