Sunday, January 25, 2009

Another weekend over

How do they go so fast? One minute it is Friday night and the next thing I know it is Sunday night. It doesn't help that I work weekends, I guess. But still, they should be longer.

Heard back from the boss, she loved the idea of the presentation on balancing work and home. Now to wait and see if the Association picks it. I have no idea how many sessions they get pitched on that sort of thing so I have no idea what my chances are. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

We spent yesterday at a shopping mall about an hour from us. One of the sporting goods stores had advertised women's snow pants on clearance. We couldn't find any in the store. We found some men's that weren't on sale and were pricier than I cared to spend. I decided to hold out awhile.

We had taken a fist full of gift cards we've gotten and spent many of them. I wanted to use some up rather than having them sitting around. Violet got a bunch of fun stuff at Claire's Boutique. I got 2 cookbooks at Borders. Violet got a How to Draw book there too. Mr. Incredible picked up a book on the history of comic strips. We all got treats at Starbucks. All on gift cards.

Did you know that K.B. Toys is going out of business? I think they are (were) nationwide but I'm too lazy to look it up. If you haven't heard of them they must be regional. Anyway, they filed bankruptcy. Everything in their stores is 70% or more off. Mr. Incredible and Violet got a bunch of Hot Wheels cars for 38c each. The signs in their stores all said that they were no longer honoring their gift cards as of January 1, 2009. I was wondering how long they had been selling them. Were they still on sale at Christmas time only to be worthless a week later? I've never been a fan of them (I had a few nasty run ins with their employees and management), but that is really sucky.

Today Mr. Incredible and Violet went to see Hotel for Dogs. I stayed home and worked. That was fine with me. They said the theater was packed to the gills.

Tomorrow I will turn in Violet's cookie orders, plus those of 4 other homeschool Juliette friends. Violet sold 127 boxes of cookies this year. Down quite a bit from prior years, but quiet respectable. Especially considering the number of her prior year customers who were no longer employed this year. I think she was happy with the sales. I know she was happy with not going door to door all over the place this year. Deliveries will be so much easier this year too. She didn't sell enough to get the stuffed pony, but that was why we bought Cookie the stuffed dog. I think I feel worse than she did. I didn't want the stress and hassle of her selling more cookies. And I didn't want to be harrassing people to buy cookies when their finances are so strained right now. Maybe by next year the economy will be in better shape. I am curious to see how sales Council-wide are.

Not many plans for the coming week. School. Library. Work. Cooking dinner. Reading. Working out. You know, the usual.

5 comments:

Fatcat said...

I think I want to come to that seminar!

Anonymous said...

I knew your idea was a great one! :o)

If KB sold gift cards at Christmas, they should be forced to honor them. Oink.

Did Violet give a review of Hotel for Dogs?

Miekie said...

Sounds like you are doing an amazing job! I love the entrepreneurship, but it is sad that people feel the financial pinch so much that they cannot support the cookie venture!

MOM #1 said...

Did Violet and Mr. I like Hotel for Dogs? Baby Boy and Mom #2 want to go see it, but I'm holding out for the Netflix version, LOL.

I never really liked KB Toys. They were overpriced to begin with, that's why they ended up out of business. Besides, here they are only in malls and I don't like malls so . . . anyway . . . that's my opinion of them.

Gail said...

Y'all had a stuffed pony as a GS cookie incentive? Sheesh, we had a dorky stuffed elephant named Eco Ellie. Really, though, I'm happy about how bad our incentives were this year since my kids weren't interested in selling so many boxes -- they stopped at 110 each.