Thursday, May 1, 2008

What I learned in homeschool this year

As we wrap up the school year, I've been thinking about the things I've learned and what I am taking away from third grade. I think I learned more in Violet's third grade year than I did my own. I am leaving myself open to think of more things and make a Part 2. If anyone else writes a "what I've learned in homeschool" blog entry, let me know and I'll post a link to it.

Without further ado (although I love good ado), here's what I've thought of so far:
  1. There is no curriculum police. I can alter curriculum to work for us. I bought it (or downloaded it for free), I own it, it should work how we need it to. If I don’t think we need to do every project or discussion question, then we don’t need to. If I want to combine more than one curriculum, so be it. No one is going to knock on the door and take me away in handcuffs because I let her read the Junior Great Books and never asked her a single thought provoking question afterwards.
  2. We are not morning people. I have fought this one for years. Everyone else does school in the morning and has the afternoon free for fun activities. But if everyone else jumped off a bridge would I do that either? Of course not! And the very nature of choosing to homeschool suggests that I don’t give a rat’s behind what “everyone” else does. Why should I try to conform to their daily schedule either? And when I do they up and change their own schedule anyway! Last year against my inner voice, I signed us up for all morning tickets for school theater productions. That was when our friends were likely to go. Well, guess what. They didn’t go to most of the productions. We dragged ourselves up and out of bed and through the unplowed roads way earlier than we wanted to. Next year, we’re signing up for all afternoon productions.
  3. I hate science. I admit it. I’m no good at science. I try but I stink at it. I am on the lookout for more science classes and workshops for Violet. And I will try harder to get Mr. Incredible involved in the teaching of science. Super Grandpa too, can’t forget him! Last year I tried to start a Girls Science Club, but I now admit that was only to prove something to the ex-troop leader. I have nothing to prove to anyone. Violet loves science. I will get her science. But I won’t pretend to like it anymore.
  4. You don’t have to prove anything to real friends. Real friends love you warts and all. They don’t tell you that you parent “wrong” or homeschool “wrong” or volunteer “wrong”. If they do, then they “friend” wrong.
  5. We don’t have to be involved in every activity there is out there. Heck, we don’t have to be involved in ANY activities. Real friends don’t pressure you to join in every activity. Invite you to join them, yes. But pressure, no. And guilt-trip you when you say you can’t, hell no.
  6. Dandelions smell great. I just learned that yesterday when I was presented with my first big bouquet of them of the season. Take time to stop and smell the dandelions. And the roses. And the mud. And the trees. And anything else you encounter. Then jot it down on your school list as “nature study.”
  7. I love eggplant and spaghetti squash. I’d never tried either before Violet got bitten by the cooking bug. Now I know I love them! (She wasn’t as impressed.)
  8. Violet is a really good artist. I think she gets it from Mr. Incredible’s late mom. She was an artist too. I must make art a priority while keeping it fun.
  9. I am a freak and proud of it! (Couldn't leave that off any list of accomplishments!)
I think I have made really big strides this year towards my quest for self-confidence and self-acceptance. Stay tuned for the further adventures of Freakmom as she grows up and stops taking crap from everyone else and has fun along the way.

9 comments:

Maria said...

Your last paragraph really struck me. I have learned so much about self confidence, self reliance, self awareness since homeschooling. It's been amazing. I especially liked the first point too! No policing your curriculum!! HOORAY!

Anonymous said...

Thunderous applause from the peanut gallery!

The Old Gray Mare said...

Awesome! You've come a long way, baby!

Ami said...

I hosted in AOL's homeschool chat for years... and am hosting for A to Z now. And every time people bring up curriculum, they worry they're not doing it right, or enough, or something...

I tell them all the same thing. Curriculum is a tool. You use it when you need it, you're the authority when it comes to knowing what your child needs, and you should never let a book or program control you.

I was also caught by your last paragraph. Although we homeschooled for our children's sake, the value of the lessons we learned about ourselves is astounding.

Yay, you!!
Yay us!
Homeschooling ROCKS!

Fatcat said...

Wow. You have gained great wisdom this year.

Anonymous said...

You are a smart woman.

MOM #1 said...

Bravo! Bravo! Bravo!

Isn't it funny how we try to love and teach our kids and end up learning to love ourselves. This home-schooling thing has a lot more going for it than any of us ever thought it would.

It seems as though you've had a great year. Even the tough parts have been eye-opening and educational.

Stay Freaky! I like you just the way you are. ;-)

SabrinaT said...

What a great list. Most days I feel like I learn more then they do!

Mel said...

I hear ya! That was awesome. I'm going through a similar epiphany myself this year, finally in our 4th year.