Monday, May 19, 2008

The garden is (mostly) in

Violet and I finished the garden yesterday. We got the beds cleared out and she planted tons of seeds. If everything sprouts we've overplanted. But since most of the seeds are a few years old, I doubt that will be a problem. She put in beans, peas, corn, carrots, brussel sprouts, dill, peppers, lettuce, watermelon, spaghetti squash, gourds and onions. There's no way it is all going to actually grow.

We still need to go out and buy tomato plants and pepper plants. At the very least we should have those. And she has a bunch of flower seeds she'd like to plant. So we need to clear out a bed or find some containers for that. I didn't feel up to that today.

We hit the books today and she did some math, a little history and started the Alaska study. We made pretty good progress, I'm pleased. We've decided to do Alaska and Hawaii then possibly hang up geography for the summer. And do just another chapter or two in history. But she wants to do more artists and art projects. Today we chose Matisse as the next artist, and I put a few books on interlibrary loan.

After dinner I ran out to our little in town grocery to buy blueberries for the Alaskan blueberry cobbler we're going to make tomorrow (the recipe was in one of our Alaska books). And vanilla ice cream to have with it. While I was there I bought stamps because I still have no 42c ones and I'm running out of ways to make 42c with what I have. I got to the car and found out they were Forever Stamps. So I feel like I can't use them and have to hoard them until the next price change, and that I'm not better off than I was before. I know it is all in my head.

I hate going to our town's post office. It was built when our town was a fraction of the size it is today (our town has grown from 3,000 to 20,000 in the 10 years we've lived here). There's no parking. You usually have to park two blocks away on the street and walk - really fun in the winter when the sidewalks aren't shoveled. There is always a line out the door at the window and the workers there are mean. No ifs, ands or buts about it they are mean as can be. It isn't surprising, after people have stood in line 20 or more minutes they are testy when they get up to the window. After being yelled at by customers all day every day there's no surprise they are mean. Needless to say, I avoid the place like the plague. I save packages to ship until I can stop by the post office in another town. So, first chance I get I'll stop by a different post office and buy a roll of 42 centers and save my Forever stamps.

Tomorrow we have a few errands to run, but mostly we'll be in. We'll keep puttering away at school and chores around the house. But tomorrow night we'll get to have blueberry cobbler for dessert and call it school.

I love homeschool!

4 comments:

Red said...

You do know because you do not want all those seeds to pop up, they will do just that.

We have some herbs and that is all for now, but I so want to drag my butt out there and get our garden started. Keep us in your thoughts.

Kudos to you for getting yours done!

The Old Gray Mare said...

I admire your gardening ambition!
I guess I am weird because I don't try to grow anything, not even flowers.

I'm with you on the post office visits. Everytime I go in I can count on standing in line for at least 20 minutes.

The blueberry cobbler sounds wonderful!

Maria said...

Ambition indeed! Way to go!

I am fortunate enough to live near two or three wee little towns that have great PO's...the big one near us is TERRIBLE!! Waits and rudeness for sure.

Why back in my day....

MOM #1 said...

We live in the sticks and everyone still has those little mailboxes in front of your house where if you leave some change, the mail man will put a stamp on your letter for you. When I actually do have to go to the post office, there's no one there and because there's no one ever there - the lady hardly ever knows what to do when I have to mail a package or something. It's kind of funny.

Of course, if you drive about 20 miles into town, you can count on a full-fledged fist fight because that one is CRAZY. I try to never have to go there - ever.

Sounds like school is getting back on track for you, take an extra bite of blueberry cobbler for me. Yum!