Saturday, May 17, 2008

I'm back

Wow, this project is finally (almost) over. I have about another 2 hours worth of work to do on it next week. And that's it. I've been putting in about 20 hours a week for the last 8 weeks, on top of my regular assignments, so the remainder is next to nothing. I did have a breakdown on Thursday at work. A colleague was driving me absolutely insane. She kept offering to help us, which was great. But when we'd give her parts to do she was filled with questions (she's a high ranking colleague, it wasn't the least bit over her head) and more changes and ideas. And instead of just completing the work and making it go away, she would want to run everything by us. We couldn't get it across to her that we didn't need to oversee anything at that point,we just needed it finished. The lead manager on the project asked me to try to explain to her that she (the manager) was in hell and couldn't take it any more. I took that as permission to flip out. So I did. Our boss was in downstate Illinois and read some of our e-mails from her Blackberry and canceled her Friday meeting so she could help us complete everything and not kill each other.

But it is done. I can collect my paychecks, take my vacation (which was whole-heartedly approved by said boss), and relax a while. I'm not actually off until Memorial Day weekend, but this upcoming week should be a lot less hectic.

In other news, Violet, Mr. Incredible and I worked in the yard and garden today. Haven't planted anything yet, we're still working on clearing out the beds. Maybe tomorrow or during the week we can get some stuff in.

We've barely done anything schoolish, but we still have 3 weeks to go before the public schools are out, so I'm hopeful we'll get to good stopping points on all our subjects. I had Violet take the third grade standardized math test from Texas (I got it from this website: TAKS Tests) she passed with flying colors.

We had our last Girl Scout service unit meeting of the school year last week. I got a really nice travel mug for my work with the service unit. I've been wanting a reusable water bottle, so I'm going to use it for that. It is spring registration season, so I'll be getting in troop registrations for fall. At least that is fun work. They have to turn everything in to me by June 1, then I have ten more days to turn it in to Council. Plenty of time actually.

Violet got signed up for 3 Kids and College classes this summer. Each last four days, Monday through Thursday, from 1 to 4 in the afternoon. She chose 2 science classes and one on the ancient world. All with her all time favorite teacher, Miss C. Lots of free time for me!

We are in the process of choosing our theater performances for next year too. There are quite a few good ones, so it looks like we'll be heading off the the theater quite a bit. Once we decide for sure I'll post more. I got a nasty letter from the theater on Friday, claiming my account was $12 due. It wasn't. I had the paperwork to prove we'd paid for all our tickets. I called the business manager and was able to straighten it out over the phone (she blamed it on a former employee who they had let go, placing blame on others doesn't sit well with me, it was a mistake, own up to it whether you caused it or not and fix it). Had she not cleared it up I was preparing my own letter with supporting documentation to send in and was going to copy a few higher ups.

Gosh, I've been taking nothing from nobody, haven't I? Don't mess with Freakmom! She's a loose cannon waiting to go off.

Well, I'm just happy to be back her in blog-land where I belong. I hope to be posting regularly again now. I've been reading all your blogs, I just usually didn't take time to comment (mostly because I was sitting eating my breakfast or lunch while I was reading and didn't want to set it down to comment).

Off to enjoy my freedom!

5 comments:

Fatcat said...

I'm jealous of your freedom since I'm working again this weekend!

Enjoy it doubly for me.

Red said...

*Walks into blog space, reads blog and tries to slink out*

Just kidding. It's does not seem like you had a disasterous week, just one you took control of...good for you. I like knowing when I am right and being able to people just that. does that make me a control freak?

I don't think there's anything wrong with enjoying knowing when you are right. And yet, when it comes to my own family, when they tell me I am wrong and I know I am right, I just clam up, and say 'Uh huh.' they know then they had better stop arguing, for it will be a senseless conversation.

Go Freakmoms of the world! Freakmoms unite!

Anonymous said...

Wanna come over at my house and go off on a few people?

Maria said...

Whoa, Nellie! You've got a lot going on, sister! Glad you're back in blogland and glad for your vacation!

MOM #1 said...

I LOVE telling people off.

I know it's not PC to say, but it's true. That way everyone knows exactly how you feel, and we can all either deal with it and get over it, or realize we don't like each other very much and deal with that and get over it.

Either way, it gets dealt with and over with - as I'm not really one to hold a grudge.

Good luck preparing for that well deserved vacation.