Sunday, May 11, 2008

I tried to sleep in

I really did. But I woke up when the cat walked across me looking for morning treats. (Why Mr. Incredible started this habit with them of giving them treats at 5:30 in the morning when he gets up to go in to the office is beyond me!) I didn't get up. Then Mr. Incredible's alarm went off. (He's still sleeping.) Then I had to go to the bathroom. Still went back to bed. Couldn't sleep. Got up.

Did I tell you Violet was sick on Friday? Thursday night as she was going to bed she said her throat hurt. I should have recognized that as early warning for a stomach thing. That's how hers always start. I got her up about an hour early on Friday to go to our last theater performance, a musical about King Tut. I asked about her throat. She said it was fine. But she didn't want to eat. I thought it was because she was up early and she's not a morning person. Driving to the theater she said she thought she was going to throw up. We were about 5 minutes from the theater so I handed her a stack of napkins just in case and told her we'd sit in the car once we got there until she felt better. She turned up her vent and when we got there she said she was feeling better. We went in and watched the show.

She was really quiet afterwards, which isn't particularly unusual. We stopped at the ladies' room on the way out. Then got in the car and headed to the community college. We'd planned to sign her up for summer Kids in College classes and get treats from the cafeteria. She said she wasn't feeling good. Then asked if we could go straight home instead. Then threw up. Poor kiddo. When we got home I sent her upstairs to find fresh clothes and clean up. I went up a few minutes later to find her cleaning up the bathroom floor where she'd gotten sick again. Got her changed, finished the bathroom floor myself (why did she think she had to do it herself, crazy kid!) and got her settled on the couch with a book, some 7-Up and crackers.

She felt better after a few hours and had a lot of toast. Took it easy all day. We read some books about Picasso and she felt up to doing some art work herself. I'll have to take some pictures later today. By Saturday she was her old self. Not sure where the little stomach bug came from. But I felt bad for dragging her out of bed and to the theater. Next year we're definitely doing all afternoon performances! Maybe Tuesday we'll make it to the college.

6 comments:

Fatcat said...

Poor Violet. It's sweet that she was trying to clean up.

When my daughter was about 6, she got a horrible stomach virus. I had to take her to the doctor for a shot of phenergan to get her to stop throwing up, but every time she'd do it, she'd say "excuse me" It was so pitiful and polite!

SabrinaT said...

((((((((((Violet)))))) Glad to hear she is feeling better!
Kids college sounds fun..

MOM #1 said...

Poor Violet. I'm glad she's feeling better, be sure to give her lots of hugs and kisses from us pseudo-moms out here in cyber space.

Anonymous said...

Hugs for Violet!

Anonymous said...

I think I have my template restored.

Maria said...

Ah, that poor kiddo! Hope she's doing even better today!