Sunday, May 4, 2008

Bridging

Violet had a Girl Scout milestone this evening. She bridged to Juniors, the next program level. She's been working since the first of the year to meet the requirements and tonight she held her ceremony. She's attended a Junior badge workshop, participated in a service unit service project, did an online activity, and a few other things. She planned tonights festivities too.

Her plan was to light candles to signify her advancement. She had one blue candle (for one year in Daisy Girl Scouts), three maroon candles (for three years as a Brownie, we couldn't find brown tapers), and one dark green candle (to signify becoming a Junior). She lit them in order, then I presented her with her membership star, and a new Girl Scout pin. Plus her wings and bridge (both are patches for you non-Scouts in the audience). We made her wear her uniform and vest and Mr. Incredible took lots of pictures. When I can get them from him I'll post them.

Afterwards we ate dinner with the candles still lit. Violet choose bowtie pasta and garlic bread. For dessert: ice cream and fresh strawberries. She did a great job planning and holding her ceremony. Best of all, she did it her way on her terms. She really is one of best Girl Scouts I know. She takes it very seriously.

In other news, we had a busy weekend. I worked all day yesterday while Violet and Mr. Incredible went to the zoo. She was owed a "Violet-Papa" day since their last planned one got canceled. Today we worked outside. Mr. Incredible mowed and cleaned up. Violet and Red (the best friend from across the street) picked dandelions and did a few odd jobs between playing. And I cleaned out one of the flower beds. Violet and Red scattered flower seeds in the bed for me. I told them they could pick as many of the flowers as they want provided any actually grow. They liked that deal. I'm glad we have a slow week ahead. I'm tired.

6 comments:

Maria said...

Well, Miss violet, I know nothing about GS or bridging (is that, like, building a bridge??) but I do know a proud mama and a well accomplished kiddo when I read about them! Way to go!! you sound like a self possessed girl who knows her stuff!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Violet! Can't wait to see the pictures.

Hope the flower bed grows to abundance!

The Old Gray Mare said...

Applause for Violet's many accomplishments!!

Isn't it such a joy to watch them grow?

Wendy said...

Hooray for Violet! I remember Bridging to be a significant ceremony. I actually started late (as a Cadet Girl Scout in 9th grade, so I bridged immediately that year to Senior).

But bridging to Senior and then Adult was very meaningful to me.

Congratulations to Violet!

Ami said...

Happy Belated Bridging!

My daughter will bridge to seniors this year.. if we continue with GS. Still up in the air.

MOM #1 said...

Hurray for Violet!

I've never been a girl scout, known a girl scout, or even seen one up close except for on television . . . but it certainly sounds like she has worked hard and earned her distinctive honors!

Now . . . how about them photos!