Tuesday, April 8, 2008

I may already be a winner

We've had a couple of busy days. Yesterday was Narnia Group. Violet didn't want to go at first, but I asked the mom who runs it if Violet could do a little less participating and more chilling out and absorbing. I said she was just coming off a stomach bug and still out of sorts a bit. The mom was cool with that. Violet did fine.

Last night the Girl Scout product sales committee met. They LOVED Violet's pictures especially the tiger made out of Caramel Delites (you may call them Samoas if you buy them from the other bakers). We got to see the incentives for next year's Fall Product Sale and pick out what the girls will earn. Violet will love, love, love them. We also got to sample all the candies and nuts and decide what the girls will sell. There was a heated debate between Fruit Slices and Gummi Berries. The sell for the same price, but Fruit Slices are less expensive for the Council to buy. Fruit Slices have also seen higher sales than Gummi Berries. But there were some big time Gummi Berry lovers on the committee (and I had strict instructions from Violet to try to bring back Gummi Berries and lose the Fruit Slices). We had to have a secret vote and the Director of Product Sales abstained from voting to count. Gummi Berries won. Those girls have to push Gummi Berries next fall!

I did check about Violet's missing dog and it is set to ship later this week. I found out some girls are still waiting for their T-shirts from last fall's sale!

Today Violet was in a Girl Scout workshop for Juniors (4th, 5th and 6th graders) and bridging Brownies (3rd graders), they earned a science badge (Be a Science Sleuth). I was expecting more younger girls, but it was mostly 5th and 6th graders. Violet held her own and completed it. She was the youngest girl there and I think the only 3rd grader. I helped match her up with one other girl who had come on her own to sit next to. I don't know if it helped or not. But once the program started, Violet had me leave (I sat in the next room reading Secular Homeschooling Magazine and talking with the Girl Scout staff person running the program - well the lady from Mad Science was doing the actual presentation of the program).

Afterwards Violet was starving (it went from 4 - 6 pm) so we stopped at McDonald's on the way home. It was a few towns away and pouring rain, so I was glad to fill her up while we drove back. I had put soup in the crock pot for Mr. Incredible and me.

And now, why I am a winner. The yearly Girl Scout Volunteer Dinner is coming up and I had sent in my reservation form. The cost of the dinner is $25. You get $5 off for having nominated a volunteer for an award, I had nominated my friend from daycamp and delegates. And you get $5 off for booking a table of 8, our service unit has booked 2 tables. So I mailed in a check for $15.

I got a message this afternoon saying I owed $5. I called the lady back and left her a message of how I arrived at my calculation, but that I'd be happy to send in another $5. I got a call back, not from her but another lady, saying she was sending my check back to me. What? I got kicked out of the banquet? No, I am an award recipient and my dinner is free! How cool is that? Being the generous volunteer that I am (who knows it is tax deductible) I asked them to keep my check and apply it to sponsorship of the dinner.

I have no idea what my award is, but it is pretty cool that I've been nominated by my service unit buddies for one. See, I keep saying that although they are a few rotten apples in the bunch, over all they are a great group of ladies and I enjoy working with them.

p.s This is one of those dinners where we all sit around and clap for ourselves all night long saying how great we all are. Feel free to make fun of us. It will be a good time. Kool-Aid will be served. (And we are great! clap, clap, clap, clap, pass the Kool-Aid.)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay You!

Stay away from the Kool-Aid!

Wendy said...

How cool is that... Good luck at the dinner!

Ami said...

Congratulations on the award.

I don't envy you having to sit through the award banquet, though.
It's probably just me.. but I find them a crashing bore.

Glad you got the dog thing straightened out.

:)

The Old Gray Mare said...

Congrats on the award! I hope you have a lovely time at the dinner.
Sometimes it's good to give ourselves a pat on the back.

MOM #1 said...

Yah for the Freakmom! See all of that hard work and aggrevation has paid off, you get FREE Kool-Aide!

I mean really, what could be better.

Congratulations!

SabrinaT said...

congartualations!! Umm, what flavor is the kool-aid. You know red dye and all that jazz! Have a great time.