Sunday, April 6, 2008

The Apple Dumpling Gang

Last night in an effort to cheer up Violet for missing out on her overnight, I checked out "The Apple Dumpling Gang" from the library. She really enjoys the silly old Disney comedies from the 60's and 70's. We have a long list of favorites to work our way through like "The Absent-Minded Professor," "The Shaggy Dog," and "That Darn Cat." After watching it we got her a scoop of ice cream from the freezer, she ate less than half of it and said she was tired. We made the right decision.

I am feeling tremendously better today. In addition to the antibiotic, I'm sure not having to spend the day going to the film festival when I'm so behind helped too. I've gotten a lot done here. Violet's finished up some projects too. I'm on the product sales committee of our Girl Scout council and we are working on some educational materials for young girls just selling cookies for the first time. One fun idea I came up with was having them make pictures using Girl Scout cookies in them. Violet and her friend Red each did some samples for me. Here are Violet's samples:





Red's turned out equally terrific (but I don't really have her permission to post her pictures). Some of the adult committee members wanted to do the samples, but I thought ones done by other girls would be far better. Violet loves to see art work by other kids much more than adults. The meeting is tomorrow night so we'll see what they use.

Still no stuffed dog from the cookie sale, but I am speaking to the Product Sales Director about it tomorrow.

Our weather was beautiful this weekend, wish we would have gotten out to enjoy it more. But between feeling tired and loads of work to do, we just had the doors open.

I'm dodging a meeting tonight. This is so unlike me. I had originally said I couldn't go because Mr. Incredible had the tickets for the film festival. Well, I'm not in Madison. But I'm not taking Violet with me. She's still cranky and shouldn't have to sit through a boring adults only meeting. If anyone asks the festival was great.

Finally, Mr. Incredible's step-grandmother (who he pretty much considers a grandmother even though he was 20 before he met her) is going downhill fast. She's 93 and in a nursing home. She's been put on hospice care and has had her feeding tube removed. She's been in very little pain the last 2 years and we all think she is ready to go join her husband who died 10 years ago. Her mental state has been gone for some time now (she thinks she's in the hospital and until a few weeks ago every day she'd go "down the street to another party," also known as, going down the hall to the activity room).

For the last few years Violet has been periodically sending her pictures she's drawn. None of the other great-grandkids have done anything like that and she's the only one who's a "step". I told her great-grandma was really sick and not going to get better. She did another picture to mail tomorrow. Most likely the last. A dog and cat in love:



I honestly don't think Great-Grandma will be able to understand she got another picture, but Violet's grandma (MIL) and great-aunt will know Violet sent it and it will mean a lot to them. That's what is important.

4 comments:

Maria said...

Glad you're feeling better! I loved the Apple Dumpling Gang...Ms. D likes cheesy Disneys'...and the not so cheesy. Our library has one called "Thomasina" about a cat with one billion lives, that for some reason, we all really really love. I loved it as a kid, too. It's terribly done and corny...but there it is...

Anonymous said...

Nothing beats a vintage Disney movie.

Sorry about Mr. Incredible's Grandma. At least she will be made comfortable by Hospice. I applaud their work.

The pictures Violet did are awesome! That was a fantastic idea! Woot!

Fatcat said...

Cute pictures!

I'm sorry about Violet's great grandma.

MOM #1 said...

I'm so glad you and Violet are feeling better, keep taking it easy, that's the key to a FULL recovery.

I LOVE the old Disney greats. All the ones you mentioned are excellent! Baby Boy and I have watched them and even he couldn't help but laugh out loud. You KNOW that's hard for a teenage boy.

It's too bad about Mr. Incredible's grandma. My great grandma passed away recently, and although it was sad, she too was in her late 90's and lived a full life. Hospice care is a great thing, it can really make a difference in a person's final days.