Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Whiny Day

Please tell me that all 9 year old girls whine a lot. I know they do, I just want some external validation that it wasn't me, wasn't her, wasn't what I had planned. They are just hard wired to whine.

It was cold and rainy today. In fact, the high was only 42F. Just miserable weather. No wonder she felt miserable. Nothing we tried to do made her happy. We had to stop math twice because it kept bringing her to tears. It wasn't too hard. Maybe it was too easy. I think it just irritated her. It was an introduction to percentages. It seemed to offend her to have to write both the fraction (10/100) as well as the percent (10%). Maybe it just went against her moral math convictions.

She tried making tissue paper fish. You cut out the fish shapes (2 pieces), decorate them and glue them together (all except an opening). When the glue dries tomorrow, she'll stuff the fish with toilet paper and glue them shut. She probably used too much glue. The marker ran. But although she whined through it she claimed it was fun.

She also worked on her totem pole. She drew pictures of our pets on strips of paper and glued them around a paper towel tube. She still has to draw "Peanut" one of her gold fish. She tried twice today and couldn't get her right. On the top she chose to cut out an owl from cardboard. Not 100% (see no fraction given, she's right it is silly) why she wanted an owl on top. Possibly because the owl that occasionally hangs out on our roof. Maybe just because owls are cool.

I'll take photos when the projects are complete. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and in the 50s. I'm hoping for less whine. I really should scrap the school plans and figure out an Earth Day project to do. Will I lose my status of "Good Homeschool Mom" if I don't?

4 comments:

Mel said...

B never whines but she does get emotional and will burst into tears at random...a new development in recent months. Drives me nuts.
We're not that into Earth Day so no projects here. I feel sort of anti-American admitting it though. We're going to see the Earth movie with friends on Friday, does that count? LOL

Mother Mayhem said...

Hope you have a day of less whine today! :o)

Mother Mayhem said...

It's hormones. Gack.

Fatcat said...

It might be hormones, I don't know. My youngest whines when he can get away with it. I have thought about charging him a dime for a whine, to see if I can curb it somewhat ...