Friday, April 10, 2009

Totem pole craft

The finger still hurts when I type (or get it wet, or bump it) but it is healing. I'm getting a bit better at 7 finger typing.

Next week I want to have Violet make a totem pole as part of history/American Indian studies, but I don't have a plan as to how to do it. Have any of your kids made one and would you mind sharing how you did it? Mr. I. said he made a cool one as a Boy Scout with wooden spools threaded on a dowel rod and painted. I like the sound of it but don't have the supplies and really don't want to make a trip to the craft store (It is 2 towns away and I always spend too much money when I go there). I have so many recycled things I've saved for crafts, seems like there must be totem pole parts in one of my boxes. I just don't know what parts I'm looking for yet.

I'm going to read my craft books and see if I can find an idea, but you are all so crafty and smart. :bat eyelashes: You must have some good ideas.

Just so it doesn't involve a sharp knife. I'm not even using a dull butter knife yet. There goes my culinary career unless I can be a chef who only uses uncut, unchopped, full pieces of whatever the ingredient is.

2 comments:

Ami said...

Paper towel tubes and papier mache... and then paint and stuff.

Mother Mayhem said...

How about clay or Sculpey?