Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter dinner

Now it may come as a surprise to some of you, but we here in the Freak family are not very traditional. I know, I know, you can't believe it, but it is true. So while people across the country were having their ham dinner, we noshed a little differently.

About a week ago Violet and I went to Trader Joe's and one thing we picked up was some Mahi Mahi. We've been wanting to try our hands at making more fish. That is, fish that didn't come prebreaded and in a stick form. We grilled it with a lime, ginger and soy sauce marinade. It was perfect weather for grilling out, sunny and mid-50s. (We've had snow on Easter more times that I care to remember, so today's weather was nothing to complain about.) The fish was great.

To go with it I made a brown rice dish with shredded carrot and peas. Not too bad. And I had been planning plated salads, but when we were in our small neighborhood grocery Violet spotted asparagus and talked me into it. We grilled that too, in a little olive oil and salt and pepper. Violet brushed hers with melted butter. Mr. Incredible and I put a Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing on it.

I must say that I've always hated asparagus. If you asked me to list my most hated foods they'd be olives, mustard and asparagus. But Violet and Mr. I. both like it, so I agreed to try it. I can't believe how much I liked it! It was quite young which I think helped. When the stalks get too thick they are really awful. And the vinaigrette helped to mask the taste. I think my parents still have some asparagus growing on their properly, I may have to try to transplant some. Who knew that stuff could actually be edible!

I'm thinking I may need to give Brussel sprouts another try. Who know, maybe those aren't as awful as I remember either.

2 comments:

Mother Mayhem said...

Not going near a Brussel sprout. EW.

Obi-Mom Kenobi said...

We had the traditional tacos and lasagna for easter dinner. :-)