Monday, April 20, 2009

Tour-a-rific

Today was our library tour. It went far above and beyond my expectations. I thought they'd spend 30-45 minutes and talk to the kids about the library, maybe show them where the stuff was kept. The head librarian from the children's department talked to them, took them to all the departments and had them meet with lots of employees for almost an hour and a half! The kids got to go behind the circulation desk and check out then in a book. They met with representatives from all over the library who told them what they do and showed them how they do it. There were several people who weren't working today or else our tour might have lasted until closing time!

The kids (and moms) left with a much better understanding of what libraries and librarians do. The also learned what volunteers can do. And they learned what is required to become a librarian. When we were wrapping up the ladies asked the kids who would like to work in a library when they were older. All 5 girls raised their hands. The two brothers declined. We suspect they are holding out for bigger bucks than you make in a library.

Violet also had her swim lesson tonight. She's still doing great and really enjoying them. She's going to continue with lessons at least through June.

The rest of the week we are home and have no appointments! Except for me, on Wednesday night. I'm attending the Girl Scout Volunteer Awards dinner. But that will be fun. My mentor is receiving the Thanks II Badge. I have to go cheer for her.

Gack, I have nothing to wear to a fancy dinner. I wonder if I can wear the same dress I wore last year. Even if anyone recognizes it they shouldn't say anything about it. They are all Girl Scouts after all.

1 comment:

Garden State Kate said...

Have fun!! It's both "Green" (in honor of Earth Day) and thrifty
(which is so very chic right now,lol) to re-use your fashion
rather than buy new. ;-)