Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Elections

We had some local elections here today. The only one I really wanted to get out for was the school board election. Why should I care who's on the school board since we homeschool? Because they agree to the teachers' union contract and set our property tax rate to pay for it all. We pay a lot in property tax for a "free" education. The State of Illinois has not paid their fair share for years, which has meant the local taxpayers have to make up the difference. Hopefully that will change with our new governor, the Mighty Pat Quinn, but it will take time. And when it does, do you think our tax rates will go down since the State will be picking up more of the tab? If you do, I have some swamp land to sell you. The teachers will get more perks and higher salaries. The taxpayers will still get stuck with the bill. And the kids won't do any better on standardized test because they'll still be little drones who get shuffled from one thing to the next without any time to stop and smell the roses and therefore never develop the ability to think on their own.

Hmm, where was I?

I went out to vote for the local nutjob. I like him. He may be a nutjob, but man, he is right most of the time. He can somehow sniff out inconsistencies in contracts and determine long before the others that some things just don't add up. He doesn't back down from the teachers' union. And many people in the area hate him for that. He stands up against the man.

He narrowly won a seat on the board a few years back after he started going to the board meetings and insisting they look closer at the referendum they were proposing. Yep, he was right. The paperwork they had was actually going to cost the taxpayers 3 times as much as they were telling us. Because of some complicated tax structure thing in this state that almost no one can understand, the dupes on the board had screwed up. I don't think they knew they had made a mistake. My man caught it and I became a fan.

He's constantly put down in the press and by the teachers and their pawns, the parents. But there are a number of us who like him in there stirring things up. He doesn't always go about things in the most politically correct manner. But he stirs them up and makes people think. The teachers' union are of course against that, because they don't like people to think for themselves.

Anyway, he was up for re-election today. And although I felt really lazy, I went out to cast my vote for him. And got Mr. Incredible to go vote for him too.

He may be a nutjob, but he's a nutjob who is usually right.

4 comments:

Garden State Kate said...

I favor a "nutjob" who cares as well.

Gail said...

Gack! I spent the day on the couch being sick and totally forgot it was Tuesday/election day. So much for my resolve to be more aware of local politics.

Hope your guy won. And glad to hear someone got out and voted in a local election, even if I didn't.

Wendy said...

I hope you can find time to snag the little something I've got waiting for you at my blog! LOL

MOM #1 said...

Nutjobs rule!

Who else is going to mix-it-up against the mainstream blah?

Good for you!