Friday, October 31, 2008

Boo to you!

Just a quick post to say Happy Halloween and I hope the spooks and goblins were good to you! I have some photos to post but that will be tomorrow. I don't want to ruin the photo surprises so I'll tell you more about it all when I get the photos posted.

Tonight I had an election day question. I know an election judge (my Girl Scout mentor) so I e-mailed her and got an answer back. (I wanted to know if you show up before polls close and you are still standing in line when they do close what happens. She said as long as you are in line you can vote no matter how long the line is or how long it takes.)

I mention this because I was thinking this is a nice side effect of my Girl Scout volunteering. I've met people. Lots of people. And I know them well enough to ask them things like that. Before I started with the crazy volunteer stuff, even when I was just a leader and not involved at the higher level, I didn't know many people in the area. We moved here after we were married and working full time. Neither of us work locally, our offices are over 30 miles away. We don't have kids in the schools. I was starting to meet a few people through homeschool circles, but most of them live at least 5-10 miles away. We know our immediate neighbors. But all in all we were quite isolated.

I really like the connections I've made with so many others. I was feeling very alone, and still do in some ways, but I really enjoy the friendships (or at least acquaintanceships) I've made as a result. I don't feel quite as left out as I do in so many other situations.

Speaking of Girl Scouts, we added up Violet's Fall Product Sale totals and she sold $670 in candy, nuts and magazines! The sale officially ends tomorrow and Sunday we'll turn in her paperwork. She sold far more than most girls, and in fact more than a lot of troops combined! She'll have decent cookie sales, but the fall sale is always her big one. She's a happy Girl Scout!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never received my form for catalogs!!!!
Glad you are making some friends. I am also like you. I have lived in Fl for 7 years and really have only one friend, whom is moving away next month. It sure is hard to find our nitch. Just like in my high school!!!
HOpe you had a fun Halloween!!

Anonymous said...

Yay, Violet! :o)

MOM #1 said...

Violet outdid herself! That's great.