Friday, October 24, 2008

jobs, appointments and lead weights

Mr. Incredible still has a job. His best friend of 22 years, does not. Four or five other people at his company don't either. His company only had about 30 employees. That's about a 20% workforce cut for those of you playing along at home. This sucks.

His job is safe for now, but it sounds like the whole company is in danger of tanking. Last night we talked about him being more proactive in looking for something new. But then I got to thinking. How do we know new company won't tank? Then he's low man on the totem pole and first to go. This sucks.

Did I tell you I made myself an appointment for next Monday with a new gynecologist? Well, I did. His office is really close. He's in my insurance plan. And he isn't close to retirement age. (My last nurse practitioner retired over the summer on me.) And he's affiliated with the hospital group that has the nearby mammogram center that I really like. (As if you could actually LIKE a mammogram center, but you know what I mean.)

I also made Violet a well-child checkup for next week with her old doctor. I really want to switch her. He isn't very homeschool friendly. His first word every time it comes up (and how you people lie or manage to not have it come up is beyond me. "How's school?" "Do you like your class?" "How's your teacher?" Every time she walks in.) Where was I? Oh yeah, "Socialization". Buggers. We know that means he really doesn't know squat about homeschooling. And he knows a family at his church... Need I go on?

Well, I want to get her into a new doctor. But I'm already almost 5 months overdue with her appointment. Who knows how much longer we'll have health insurance. He's in a group practice and I tried to make it with another guy we saw once when she had pink eye. He's on vacation until a few days before we leave on vacation. (Yep, that's right, we have a big vacation booked. Smart move, huh? It was booked 6 months ago before the economy started tanking quite so badly. This sucks.)

So I bit the bullet and made the appointment with the guy she's been seeing since she was a baby. At least I don't have to have her medical records copied and sent to a new office. What a pain in the butt. They are never helpful about it. I am not counting on mine making it to my new doctor. I don't mind so much for mine, I want Violet's handy.

I've felt like I've had a lead weight on me the last few months. I have the hardest time moving and doing things. I just want to stay home and hibernate. There's so much to do. I can't remember things. I can't make decisions. I know I'm worrying about things way too early, but it is hard not to when these things are in your face on a daily basis. This sucks.

Maybe I do need that vacation after all.

5 comments:

The Cooking Lady said...

My children have not been to well children visits in years. I know they are healthy, because I know what we eat and their activity level. I think the medical profession ells us a line of garbage in thinking we need to get our children to the doctor every year, (once they turn 2 if memory serves me correctly).

And if I had to do it all over again, I would not vaccinate (This is coming from a mother of an autistic child who was perfectly normal until his MMR shots and Whamo, he shut down...for us at least there was a connection).

When my children get sick (which they do not, and especially since we took them out of the school system) , then they go to a doctor and one that is more holistically geared.

Sorry, I am ranting now.

I am so glad Mr. Incredible still has a job. I was downsized in late April, and did not look for a new job for we knew surgery was on its way, and who the heck would hire me with that knowledge. I will keep my fingers crossed that he keeps his job as well.

Donna said...

Glad to read your husband still has his job! I know what you mean about the stress of it all... sometimes it is so overwhelming!
You are smart to use your medical coverage while you have it - It is so costly otherwize.
Best Wishes : )

MOM #1 said...

I'm glad Mr. Incredible made through this latest round of job cuts. What a drag to keep living through it though.

I know sometimes the stress can weigh on you so heavy you can't move.

Good thing you did all that cleaning and re-organizing a few weeks ago. You've got some cleaning karma in the bank, so go ahead and take a little time to just be.

You deserve it.

Fatcat said...

I'm thinking of you. My husband was laid off when our kids were 5 1/2, 2 1/2 and 10 months. I had to pick up the reins and work full time for several years until he was able to find his current job.

Hopefully, Mr. I will find something really great. My husband's current job is so much better than his old one.

Anonymous said...

I am glad Mr. Incrediable still has his job. Try to just take it day by day. I am glad you are doing all your medical stuff now. Smart lady!!!

Enjoy your vacation, maybe it will be peaceful and quiet with every one else worrying about the economy.