Monday, October 20, 2008

Pumpkins, Apples and Missing Cats

Things are still busy at the Incredible household. Over the weekend we went to the pumpkin patch and made our pumpkin selections. I chose a warty one. When we got up to check out the lady told Violet that the name of that pumpkin variety was "freak pumpkin". Now I ask you, how perfect is that?

Mr. Incredible and Violet each chose a more misshapen pumpkin. They felt the oddly shaped ones had far more personality than the perfectly round ones. It took us quite a while to make our selections, and the patch wasn't that big. But at least three other families came, picked out pumpkins and left, while we were still looking. Not all at once either, one at a time. Apparently we are slow pickers.

We also bought some apples. A tart variety, but I forgot the name and am too lazy to get up and look (and I'm not telling how incredibly close they are either). This afternoon Violet and I made an apple crisp. We just had some still warm for dessert.

You know how Violet is watching my boss' cat while she is gone? Well, we went over there today and we could not find that damn cat anywhere. She lives in the basement (boss' hubby is highly allergic) and the door was closed. There was no way she could have gotten out (although Violet did have one theory about the cat opening the door and closing it behind her - I think she reads too many books). We kept hearing thumping type noises from the vents but I'm pretty sure they were normal vent sounds, it is cool and I know the boss was leaving the heat on while they were gone (so her little kitty wouldn't get too cold, tee hee). I looked all over and couldn't figure out a way kitty could have gotten into the vents. At least I hope not. And we didn't hear mewing like she was in trouble. The food had been eaten and the box used. There are a lot of good hiding places and she's a small cat, so she must have been all curled up somewhere watching us. I hope.

This is not the economy to lose your boss' cat in.

Mr. Incredible's company is likely doing its latest round of layoffs this week. We're pretty sure he's not getting it this time. This economy sucks.

Tomorrow Violet has to go to the orthodontist to get her lower retainer bonded on better. I always feel like a bad mom when something happens and she has to make an extra appointment to go in. They are having a food drive at the orthodontist's office. A food pantry donation gets you a raffle ticket for an iPod shuffle. Gee, I wonder if we are going to an overpriced orthodontist? He does have lots and lots and lots of patients. It is a straight teeth mill in there.

How many more days until the election? I can't wait for it to be over.

Thank you to everyone who gave me e-mail and snail mail addresses for the Girl Scout sale! Violet earned the patches she wanted. And her sales have already surpassed her goals! She is so excited! Thank you!

4 comments:

The Old Gray Mare said...

That is too funny about the pumpkin variety you chose! LOL

I'm sure that kitty was well hidden and watching every move you made.

I, too, will be soooo glad when election day is over. We have been bombarded with ads for the 2 guys running for Congress. I never want to hear their names again.

Wendy said...

My cats know how to find the good hiding places, sometimes to the extent where I say, "Have you seen Shiva?" and then tear the house apart looking for him, knowing he couldn't have gotten out, but fearing he has.

Tremor would hide beneath the furnace in my in-laws' basement when we brought him to stay. He'd enter the house white and leave sooty-gray.

Hooray for Violet on her successful sales!

MOM #1 said...

When you get a chance, post a photo of that pumkin, I'm DYING to see it.

I can't wait for the election to be over either. People are losing their minds. I voted yesterday, and Mom #2 voted today, so as far as I'm concerned, it's already over. I've done all I can do.

I hope Mr. Incredible avoids the layoffs. That would be a REAL DRAG for your family if y'all had to do that. Been there. Done that. It's no fun.

Anonymous said...

Did you find Waldo... er... I mean the kitty yet?