Wednesday, October 8, 2008

A Favor to Ask

We interrupt this blog for an announcement. (Not a particularly important or interesting announcement, feel free to click next blog and move on if you'd like.)

It is that time of year again, the Girl Scout's Fall Product Sale. They sell candy and nuts and magazines. One of they ways they get you (the parent that is) is to offer a separate patch if the girls complete an address book with 11 snail mail addresses of friends and family members to be mailed a magazine catalog along about January. Okay, fine we've done that the last few years. Now they have added a second patch for 12 e-mail addresses to receive the magazine offer now. I have to hit up even more loved ones in the name of not-for-profit. Stupid patches. And I bet I poke myself with the needle trying to sew the things onto her bag (she has a tote bag with all her patches and just puts her official badges on her sash - I'll have to post a picture of her in her uniform.) And, the patches all fit together in a nice neat little design. It's a scam I tell you.

Purchases from the snail mail do help out our Girl Scout council, but don't help Violet towards her goals or incentive. E-mail purchases made before October 31st-ish (I can't remember the date right now) do count towards her sales...but with my magazine addiction, she's already met her sales goals. I have a problem. I love cheesy magazines. Hmm, a magazine about cheese, that could be good. I'll have to check the catalog when I'm done with my plea. I may need one more....

The company only sends one request, and they never sell names or addresses. If you are willing to receive a mailing or an e-mail, would you let me know via e-mail (freakmom at gmail dot come). Either e-mail or snail mail or both (batting eyelashes). Feel free to delete the e-mail they send or recycle the offer when it is received. Unless you share my love of magazines, then check out their deals. Some are really good, some are okay, some stink. Check around before buying. Vegetarian Times is cheaper through Girl Scouts than the renewal offer I received (yes, you can renew too).

I don't know how I feel about fund raisers. They are necessary to keep the program going. But they are a pain in the neck (and wallet). So feel free to ignore this request. I'll bug enough people to get Violet her patches, not to worry. And I agree that the fund raisers get really tedious.

Back to your regularly scheduled blog...

5 comments:

Ami said...

How do I email you?

Mel said...

This was optional for each girl in our troop and our option was NO. LOL The cookies are enough to give me an ulcer. I think this year I'm just going to hand our leader a check for whatever the minimum is and forget it. We just don't know enough people to make it worth our time and I refuse to go door to door. Ugh! I love Girl Scouts but not the selling part of it.

Wendy said...

You can email me at autumndivona@juno.com, at which time I can either give you my regular email, or, well, you can use the juno email anyhow. I do check it daily.

Wendy said...

Anyhow, meant to say I'm happy to help. I was a Girl Scout and I can't stand having the door-to-door kids. Ugh. My sister's got 4 children, so I get countless fundraising requests from them!

But 1 child; 1 Girl Scout - I'm definitely up for helping her meet any goals. Plus, I'd love to see what they have now. I usually take advantage of these fundraising things to buy the cute gift wrap.

Anonymous said...

You know I'm in! ;o)