Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Plugging along

Yesterday we hosted a couple of the homeschool Juliettes for a Try-it day at our house. Violet is working on her Junior Aide patch by helping them earn Try-its. We did the Movers Try-it where they made various things that flew. Some better than others. All were fun. It is a nice group, I think we've found a good mix. It is two other moms that hang out, help out and are really nice and encouraging to Violet. And 3 girls who are really polite and nice and fun, and really look up to Violet. What more could you need?

In the evening I did go to my meeting. I didn't drink more Kool-Aid but I did have the taco dip - yummy! It was hosted at the house of one of the committee members. Her house is much closer than the Council office is, so I was just as happy to go there. We laugh so much on that committee. It really is a fun group. We meet back at her house in early December.

Today we stayed home all day. We really needed to go out and get milk and to pick up our holds at the library, but they are both waiting until tomorrow. It was nice to hang out. I had a busy morning with work. I may have to take a day and drive out to a client's office. I should know by next week. If so, I hope to schedule the week of Thanksgiving, but we'll see.

I was interviewed this morning for an industry publication. I've been interviewed for this one before (and a few others that are published by the same company). It sounds more impressive than it really is. Today's interview was about how to choose a healthcare consultant. Gee, since I work for a big firm, what kind of consultant do you think I said was best? Yep, big firms, lots of depth, I know who butters my bread. The really nice thing is that the reporter will e-mail me the article so I can review my comments before they are published (and have my supervisor look it over too). That way if I stuck my foot in my mouth, they'll fix it.

Tomorrow is Violet's doctor appointment. I looked at the CDC's vaccine recommendation list and I don't think she is due for anything. I know, lots of homeschoolers are anti-vaccine, and I respect that. If you are please respect my position to be pro-vaccine. I've gotten a lot of flack over my choice from local homeschoolers. I've heard your arguments. I can't say for absolute certainty one side is right or wrong. I only know that I believe the benefits outweigh the risks. I'm not changing my mind based on comments (or being ganged up on at homeschool events), so don't bother.

Whew. Where was I? Oh yes, Violet is breathing easier knowing the chance of a shot are really, really slim. I already told the doctor's office that I wasn't getting her a flu shot. (I know, I'm so pro-vaccine why not a flu shot? The only time I've ever gotten one I had the worst case of the flu in my life. I know, it wasn't the shot. I don't care. I'm not getting one. And Violet's not getting one the day before trick-or-treating and a week before vacation.)

After all the errands tomorrow, we will do a light school schedule in the afternoon. If anything at all. I may have her work on more Girl Scout badge stuff. School in disguise. We were looking at the book and we think we can easily finish Story of the World volume 3 before the trip. There isn't much we want to do outside reading the chapters. I don't know if we'll start up volume 4 right when we get back or wait until after the holidays. Violet really likes it, so we'll probably jump right in. One of these days I'll have to decide what to tackle after volume 4. If you have a history recommendation that isn't too writing intensive, let me know.

7 comments:

MOM #1 said...

We vaccinate too. Baby Boy has too many other medical problems without worrying about adding a communicable disease to the list.

Y'all sure sound busy.

dariasmama said...

I'm not anti-vaccine, I'm just selective. I have found Vitamin D supplements to be more effective in preventing the flu than the shot. Not so much in preventing Hep A, ya know?

Do you need me to come up there and get your back when they gang up on you? I'll wear my combat boots *G*

Garden State Kate said...

Sounds like you have a nice group.
I have to reschedule my doc and P's docs...one had to leave to deliver a baby, one had to go meet her new grandchild. ;-) I will call today.
I don't do the flu shot either.

Ami said...

Oh you vaccinating wacko!!

You're endangering the balance of the universe!

I think the whole vaccine thing is another one of those 'you're the parent, you need to do what you think is best for your child'.

And that people who make your child their concern really need to get a new hobby.

I think it's cool that you're doing Girl Scouty stuff with other girls even though your girl is not in a troop.

I'm really missing my troop these days.
::Sigh::

The Old Gray Mare said...

Violet should be good on the vaccinations until she's ready for 6th grade.

Brownie had a couple of vaccines before he left for college. I wasn't taking any chances with him living in the dorms. I also have him take a good daily multi-vitamin.

The Girl Scout activity sounds like it was fun. I'm glad you've hit upon a good mix of moms and girls.

Mel said...

I'm anti-vaccine but not a militant crazy person about it. It's our personal informed decision for our family so I feel I have no business telling other people what to do, or not do as the case may be.
I think it's great that you have a group of Juliettes that get together. We considered that before we found our little troop. Although lately the troop schedule isn't fitting for us and I've wondered about going Juliette in the future since we now have to miss half the meetings it seems like. :-(

SabrinaT said...

I would hate to see the lecture I would get, if I showed my kids shot records to the anit-vaccinate crowd. Moving them around the world there are a few shots that people in the states are not required to get. For us it is a matter of safety.
Hey, when is vacation? Do you need a bellgal? I could sure use a vacation..You won't even know I am there.