Monday, March 31, 2008

Gack! Root Canal!!

I went to the dentist this morning for my 6 month checkup. I've been waiting for it to get here. One of my molars has felt really funny for a few months. Not painful, not sensitive to hot or cold, just funny when I bite on it. It started back when I had a sinus infection back in December. I'm now thinking maybe that wasn't a sinus infection after all.

The hygienist did her whole thing and she didn't see anything with the tooth, but we reported it to the dentist. He had her do an x-ray and sure enough, it is infected. He put me on an antibiotic and scheduled 2 appointments for later this month to do a root canal. He assured me it is in the really early stages and will be a breeze to do. The receptionist also assured me they are much easier than people make them out to be. My mom, quite the veteran of the dentist chair, said that a root canal is even easier than a filling and especially on a molar will be a piece of cake. The dentist did explain the whole thing to me but all I heard was "root canal, root canal, root canal."

I'm not so sure about this, but there are two good things I'm trying to focus on. First, is we have really good dental insurance through Mr. Incredible's job. We've never had dental before this job. They pay a really big chunk of it. I never had dental insurance growing up and I remember my parents working out installment payments with the dentist. I am really fortunate that I didn't have to ask how much it would be and wonder how soon we'd have enough to get it done. I don't take that for granted for one minute.

The other thing is, I'm hoping the antibiotic makes me feel better. I haven't felt good for a couple of months. Just run down and achy here and there. Having an infection would really explain a lot. Maybe it isn't just because I'm getting old I had thought it was just winter and working too hard. But maybe I've been too hard on myself and there was an explanation for it all.

So we get the infection knocked out. Do whatever it is he's going to do to the tooth (really I blacked out around the time he talked about drilling down into it from the top). And by May, I'll be like a whole new Freak!

7 comments:

Ami said...

I am dental treatment phobic. Badly. Some of the story is on my blog somewhere.

That said, I have had a root canal. The work was a piece of cake, especially after suffering the infection I had when the tooth abcessed.

You'll do fine. And YAY for insurance.

Maria said...

Good for you! I mean, the part about getting this figured out...and listen to ami...it's gonna be fine. I just had my wisdom tooth out(no comparison i know) and it was fine, my mom had a root canal herself and she is HYPER about this stuff...it went fine. SO happy for you on the insurance thing. What a relief it is to have that covered!
Win/win...and you have a great excuse to be babied after your done with that root canal. You can milk that for a couple weeks at least!

Mel said...

I'm sorry, that really sucks. I had one a couple years ago. It wasn't pleasant but not too horrible. It took longer than a filling though. Mostly I worked myself up into such a horrid frenzy that I had a full blown panic attack in the chair and they had to stop and let me breathe with my head down between my knees. Embarrassing but I freak out at almost every dentist appt and by now you'd think I'd be used to it all with my horrendous teeth. You don't even want to know what I've had done the past three months...right now a root canal sounds like a walk in the park by comparison so you'll be fine. LOL

Anonymous said...

The infection would definitely explain the way you've been feeling.

Playing the devil's advocate I guess, but I have had a root canal and would NEVER have another. Hope yours goes better!

The Old Gray Mare said...

Hooray for dental insurance! Our dental coverage is pitiful.

Boo for a root canal!

I've had one. It didn't go well. I will never agree to another one.

However, every situation is different & it sounds like everything should be fine with yours.

SabrinaT said...

I hope you are feeling better soon! I have had a root canal, and am waiting for yet another. It was not as bad as I made myself believer it would be. That being siad I am still not excited about another one..

MOM #1 said...

I am so afraid of the dentist, but it doesn't matter because I don't have dental insurance and don't get to go very often.

But once you get the antibiotic in you for few days, you will feel much better and you can be the "super freak" that we all know you can be, LOL.