Saturday, March 29, 2008

Working with the lights on

We did not participate in Earth Hour and turn out our lights tonight. Not that a reduction in energy consumption isn't a good idea. Not that we aren't environmentalists. I think we are just non-conformists. We don't need to be guilted in to doing something good for the planet. We do a lot of good things everyday.

And we are skeptics.

Did you notice how convenient a time they chose for the Earth Hour for Big Business? Sure, we'll turn our lights out between 8 and 9 pm on a Saturday night. Hmmm. Coincidence? But they couldn't have picked a worse time for families. They picked the getting ready for bed, taking a bath, reading a book, having milk and a snack and finding pajamas hour for it.

Speaking of pajamas I got this stuck in my head earlier tonight:

"Pajammy to the left, pajammy to the right,
Everybody's wearing them for dancing tonight.
Jamma, jamma, jamma, jamma p.j."

(Please note, my little one is now 8. "Eight and a half mom!" I haven't gotten to read Pajama Time by Sondra Boynton in years. I might have the words slightly wrong. But it is still a catchy verse.)

The snow has melted. It was sunny and in the 50s. In fact it was nice enough for Violet to take her in-line skates out to practice. She actually let go of me and Mr. Incredible a few times. She is getting some balance. She still needs a lot of practice, but she really wants to learn.

I spent much of the day working. I have been assigned to a really big project at work. The money is good, but I don't know how I'll get it all done. I did come up with an idea for enlisting the help of others from the department. I'll broach it with my boss next week.

Tonight we ordered in pizza. The kid with the black hair spiked up a good four inches and all the piercings in his face forgot the garlic bread. He was really nice about it. He even looked to see what was in the other order he had to deliver. I think if that family would have had garlic bread he would have given it to us. But he couldn't find it and drove back with it a little later. Nice kid, but I don't think I'll stand next to him in an electrical storm.

While we ate we watched the movie "Enchanted", the Easter Bunny left it in Violet's Easter basket. It was a fun movie. We had not seen it in the theater. Funny how it is cheaper to buy the DVD than for the whole family to go to the theater to see the movie.

Tomorrow promises more of the same: work. But the money's good. And since the economy is so bad, I am not complaining.

6 comments:

MOM #1 said...

I think of myself of something of an environmentalist too, but I just couldn't get down with the Earth Hour either. It's Saturday night for goodness sake. It's bad enough I'm at home, but I have to sit in the dark too. . . uh, I don't think so.

We watched Enchanted last weekend. I thought it was SO GOOD. I'm a sucker for a good kids' movie. I like them more than kids do.

Don't work to hard, believe me I know how it is. Us Moms really have to do whatever it takes.

Anonymous said...

I'm so non-conforming that I'd never even heard of Earth Hour. LOL.

Pizza sounds good. The piercings? Not so much. Ouch.

Sweetums wants to get Enchanted too. Thanks for the review!

Mel said...

Wow, I completely agree! Refreshing to read that I'm not alone in my opinion. LOL

The Old Gray Mare said...

The only thing I'd heard about Earth Hour was that the Sydney Opera House was turning out their lights. It completely escaped me that anyone else was doing it.

I would like to see the Enchanted movie. It looks really cute.

Fatcat said...

I didn't do the earth hour either. The first I heard of it was when Google went dark.

We got Enchanted from Netflix on Saturday. I liked it too.

Just so you'll know, the piercings don't really attract lightening. That myth was busted on Mythbusters. ;-) (Which does count as science!)

Maria said...

Oh, we just watched Enchanted on Friday night! It was cute.

I LOVE what you said about Earth Day. Ya, let's find a "convenient" time to help the earth, shall we? Wouldn't want to inconvenience anyone...and really, now many big businesses open from 8-9 p.m. would even go along with it? Not if it hurt their pocketbook they wouldn't? So I'm with you. Small day to day things. I'm all for more focus on the environment via things like Earth Day, but not so sure they really "work". Notice how the environment is becoming a "cool" thing for company's to champion? It's a money maker now, that's why. The Almighty Dollar ALWAYS wins.
There is your pessimistic comment for the day!
Great post!