Monday, March 17, 2008

Curriculum Fever

It must be the avoidance of spring cleaning, but I am on a curriculum kick. I've ordered our next history, grammar and math. Now I'm shopping around for art. We don't need it urgently. I just have the urge to buy curriculum. I should have my computer taken away until the feeling passes. Or at least my credit card.

I have ordered Story of the World volume 4 and the activity guide. We've used volumes 1 through 3 (well, we're in 3 right now) so I've known for a long time I was going to get that. I got it from Amazon because it seems like they are eliminating a lot of the curricula they carry. They had it for a good price and free shipping.

I also ordered Editor in Chief Beginner for grammar next year. Violet's done well with Easy Grammar, but it is rather dull. With Editor in Chief they learn grammar by editing and finding mistakes. If there is one thing Violet loves to do it is point out other's mistakes. And if it turns out to be a mistake, we'll go back to Easy Grammar.

I also ordered the whole Key To series for math. We're still working in Miquon and using Noble Knights of Knowledge as a supplement, but I know I want her to use this series next. I'm also thinking she can start in it pretty soon. Maybe not. Both the math and Editor in Chief came from Rainbow Resources. I have to pay sales tax from them because they are located in Illinois, but technically I'm supposed to pay the state sales tax on any out of state purchase.

I'm looking at several art books on Amazon, but I don't know. Anyone have any recommendations? My favorite is Discovering Great Artists: Hands on Art for Children in the Styles of the Great Masters.

Maybe I'll see if I can get it through interlibrary loan and check it out first. That might justify the purchase more.

6 comments:

Wendy said...

I'm feeling the need to clean here, but also looking ahead to the next school year and the curricula too!

I have the art book you mention ("Discovering Great Artists") and am looking forward to getting started with it later this year.

Recommendations? None for your daughter's age, I am sorry to say! Just enjoy the shopping and the packages. :-)

Maria said...

Weird, huh? How you can go to someones blog, read and say "I am SO going through that same thing!" I am so with you on the curriculum search for next year. Spring Fever. I can't remember how old your daughter is...mine is 10. We are just finishing SOTW 2. We're scooting through the next two in one year and then off to something else.
I digress: I have Discovering Great Artists and really like it. I also do Artistic Pursuits for art. Like it ALOT. I have Annotated Mona Lisa and Sister Wendy's which are both great books to use as a spine or just go thru. I also have a book (whose name escapes me...I'm getting ready to post about curriculum on my blog so I'll find it..) that has to do with the bios of various artists...that's been fun. We're reading some Blue Baillot (sp?) who wrote Chasing Vermeer and my dd loves that. I have my Amazon and Rainbow Resource orders ready to go and just need to press "Purchase"....I have a love/hate with this time of year...sorry so lengthy..but I can so relate...

Elle said...

The fever must be catching. I've been fondling my curriculum catalogs and dreaming of next years Rainbow Resource! *TeeHee*

If you decide to use Easy Grammar in 4th and 5th grade, I can hook you up. *Wink*

Fatcat said...

Oooh, curriculum shopping is such fun, isn't it?

There's a big homeschool book sale here in May that I always wait to go to before making any choices on what to buy.

Anonymous said...

Oink.

MOM #1 said...

Oh, I thought it was just me, I have been just glass-eyed gazing at curriculum and my wish list over at CBD is 3 pages long!

It's still a little early, and I'm still a LOT broke, so I'll have to go ahead and get started on that cleaning. Oh, well. LOL.