Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Super Freak!

Thanks for all the wonderful comments the last day or two. I've been getting the cobwebs out of my brain and using the blog to do it. It is so nice to know I'm not alone in often feeling alone. What would we have all done before the internet? We wouldn't have been able to find each other.

I am taking MOM#1's advice to not be ordinary, be extraordinary! So from now on I'm thinking of myself as Superfreak! She's a freak, superfreak, that mom is freaky. Well, at least some people in real life have probably said the last part as I've left the room.

Is the song stuck in your heads, too? Then my work here is done.

Except to say that Violet loved her class, they hiked all over looking for tracks. She said they found a lot of deer tracks. The weather was beautiful today, sunny and in the 50s. And the ground was really muddy from all the melting snow. Perfect tracking weather.

The cupcake recipe is at the Girl Scout cookie website: ABC Cookies. Hover over Cinna-Spins. Cinna-Spins are similar to Cinnamon Teddy Grahams, I think they'd make a decent substitute, if you don't mind crushing teddy bears that is.

There was a front page article on homeschooling in my local paper today. Featured the self-proclaimed homeschool expert in our county (I'm just mad because about a year ago she called me ignorant in a e-mail loop, I'm sure she's totally clueless as to how rude and insensitive her remark was). The only other homeschool family interviewed had an 17 year old daughter who was about to graduate from college with a 14 year old sister about to start college. Why can't these articles ever feature normal kids? Like we need the press making us look any stranger. There was also a quote from someone from a teacher's union that was humorous. Said that homeschools needed more regulations because "All you have to do is register as a school and you’re in; there’s no checking of qualifications and curriculum.” Hee, hee, in Illinois we don't even have to "register" as a school. We just start homeschooling. Bwahahaha. Regulate that.

I put the paper in the recycle bin.

3 comments:

Maria said...

OH, Oh, OH!! My pet peeve is so called "experts" saying that homeschool needs to be regulated because there are no qualifications and curriculum. PALEEZE. In other words we have to play well with others. By their rules....regulated for hall passes? So everyone knows how to stand in line correctly? And curriculum? You mean like the shining curriculum's that are working SO WELL across this country? Don't even get me going. Throw that in the recycle bin indeed.
But I know what you mean, too, about homeschoolers being shown as highly gifted all the time. I hate the pressure,that we have to be doing something amazing and wonderful or we're not really homeschoolers. I've been getting that vibe from a certain quarter locally lately and it's just weird. Technically, we'd be behind in a lot of things if my dd was public schooled. My daughter would be in special classes getting concerned looks, feeling dumb, stupid and left out. And guess what? She feels none of that right now. She's a confidant little being. Regulations, I don't need no stinking regulations...oh, boy. I started a rant right here on your comments section, now didn't I? Sorry. Apparently I'm a little "het" up tonight.
Here's to cyber cleansing.

Anonymous said...

ROFL

The Old Gray Mare said...

I'm not even going to go there regarding media coverage of home schoolers. It just makes me furious.

The thing about being super freaky. I say go for it with all you got. The freakier the better!

I think I am finally comfortable with not fitting in. I don't even want to anymore. I've come to like just doing my own thing.