Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Yay! The crappy couch is gone!

Today is Mr. Incredible and my anniversary. We got married 19 years ago. He's off this week, so later we will all go out to eat. Tomorrow is the zoo trip.

Shortly after we got married we bought a really crappy little loveseat. We not only got married young, we got married poor. We had no money, Mr. Incredible was still in college. We lived in a crappy little apartment just off campus (which by crappy campus apartment standards, was actually really nice). He worked part-time at JC Penney and got a great employee discount. Best part was, when people returned items that they had bought through the catalog, and the store didn't normally carry the item, they'd clearance them really cheap. The employees always knew about it first (hey, it was a college town, they were all really poor college students) and got to use their employee discounts on top of the sale.

So that was how we managed to afford the crappy loveseat, our only piece of furniture. Today, the garbage guys hauled it away. I guess I should be sentimental, but I'm glad to see that eyesore gone.

When we moved to the house we didn't know what to do with it, so we stuck it in the room that later became Violet's room (we moved here before she was born). She's been stuck with the thing. Yesterday we hauled it out, down the stairs, and out to the curb. Finally!

But the crappy loveseat does live on. We saved the cushions off the back and the throw pillows. Violet and I are going to try to make covers for them. We're thinking something nice and furry, like Muppet-fur. In bright colors.

Violet also got 2 new bookshelves yesterday and new blinds. She doesn't have a sheet over her window blocking out the sun that the old crappy blinds didn't anymore. I got new blinds for my home office too. My last ones crumbled a few weeks ago when I tried to raise them to clean the window. The blinds in my office were also originally in that first crappy apartment. We tend to keep things a long time.

Violet wants to make a new valence for her window, now that we can see it. She has a design in mind. Schools starts next week, so I added these 2 sewing projects to our plan for the week. We'll estimate our fabric and head to Jo-Ann and see what we can find.

I just heard that in a down economy, thread sales go up. We all start sewing.

10 comments:

MOM #1 said...

I haven't sewn anything in years. I sewed an outfit for my senior project in school. How funny is that? I may have a picture of me wearing it around here somewhere.

Oh, I know about keeping things a long time . . . Mom #2 and I are sleeping on a bed that I bought before Baby Boy was born. We have upgraded the mattress ONCE but the bedroom furniture is still the same.

*SIGH* I got it on clearance.

Wendy said...

Hooray for getting rid of old, crappy things from those Poor Early Days of marraige. I love your idea of hanging onto the cushions and throw pillows, and revamping them!

Wendy said...

P.S. I have something for you at my blog!

Donna said...

Happy 19th. Anniversay!!!!!!
Hope you have a wonderful evening together & many more.
Best Wishes : )

Mel said...

Happy Anniversary!

dariasmama said...

Happy Anniversary!!!

The Old Gray Mare said...

Happy Anniversary!

We have an old crappy couch that's been banished to our basement that we bought when we were first married. I'd love to kick it to the curb, but dh thinks it still has life left in it.

Anonymous said...

~*~ Happy Anniversary! ~*~

Hope it was INCREDIBLE. :o)

The only thing Jay and I have left from the "crappy days" is a chest of drawers. I'm thinking it will not find its way on the uhaul. MWAHAHA!

vickie solis miller said...

Once again I have lost the url for the message boards....help....

Also, hubby and I married 8 years ago on 9/9. Congrats to you! --On losing the ugly couch and another year of wedded bliss =)

SabrinaT said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY~~! I think it is so sweet that you managed to keep that little couch for all these years!