Friday, September 19, 2008

Crap, now what do I do?

I called the clinic to schedule my yearly exam with my nurse practitioner. You know, that exam. Guess what they tell me? My NP retired at the end of June! Now what?

The clinic is in my hometown. I only went there because Violet could stay with my mom, and the NP came highly recommended by my mom. Mom was right, she was great. But I really don't want to drive back there all the time if I can find someone closer.

I didn't care much for the guy who was my ob when I was pregnant with Violet. I never felt like he listened all that well. He assumed what my questions were, and often got them wrong. I loved the young doctor who actually delivered Violet, but her main office is just as far away and not in the direction of anyone who could watch Violet.

I'm 41 years old and I must have seen at least 15 different gynes over the years. None have been horrible. Even the ob. I liked him, just not that much. I loved the woman I saw back in college. But she only works in the campus clinic. What to do, what to do.

There's a new clinic opening up really close to our house. It is in our health plan. I could try that guy out. He's affiliated with the hospital and mammography clinic I really like. How bad can it be? Maybe he's the guy for me.

It is so unfair that men don't have to go through this crap.

4 comments:

The Cooking Lady said...

After having midwives I refuse to have a male doctor touch me. Call it biased...I will openly admit it. There is just something about being surrounded by females.

When I tell them I have cramps, they do not blow me off, where a man kind of shrugs his shoulders. They need to be women for one month...they would never tell us again that it is in our head!

MOM #1 said...

Uggg I hate trying to find a GYN, it's the pits. And the only way to really test drive one is to get but naked and plop your feet in the stirrups . . . by then you may as well go through with the exam. Right?

I hope I'm not giving you the blues, I've just been there and done that.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Men couldn't handle the indignity.

dariasmama said...

Oh, I don't know....I've witnessed my share of prostate exams and I think maybe there is a little balance there *evil grin*

My biggest problem was finding one who didn't insist on trying to make small talk while doing the exam. I just want to close my eyes, think of England, and get it over with. Don't talk to me, this isn't a social call *L*.