Monday, September 29, 2008

Sewing

First, some follow-up items.

I have no idea what kind of gourd we grew. The only thing I know to do with them is to let them dry out, then turn them into birdfeeders. Or use them as decorations. I don't think you can eat them. Then again, until last year I didn't really believe you could eat squash either.

Got the family room steam cleaned. Cleaning Marathon 2008 is officially over.

I used Melyssa's idea to organize our hats, gloves, mittens, scarves and earmuffs. At least sort of. I found 3 rubbermaid containers with locking lids and assigned us each one. We sorted our stuff and filled them. Violet's is on the floor where she can easily reach it. Mr. Incredible and I each have one on the top shelf of the hall closet. Guess who had the most stuff and can't get the lid on his? That's right, Mr. Incredible. I don't want to hear a word from him if I buy anything new.

New Business.

Violet and I went to the fabric store today. We bought fuzzy red material to cover the old pillows from that icky old loveseat we threw out. It will look like we skinned Elmo and used his hide. Not a bad idea really. Elmo gets on my nerves. Thank goodness Violet always preferred the old Sesame Streets to the new. They used to show them on Noggin.

We also bought some material to make a new valence for her bedroom. She chose a black material with a cat pattern on it. And for some highlights, a light tan with paw prints. We got plain black for the back. I think it will work. I've done curtains before. I'm really not a very good seamstress. I hope I don't swear too much in front of her while we are trying this project.

And we also bought a lavender with horses on it that we are going to make into a pillow case for her. Violet really liked it but there wasn't much on the bolt and she couldn't really find anything that matched it to use as the valence. So we thought of pillow case.

I'll post pictures as we complete the projects.

Did you know that homeschool teachers can get a 15% discount card at Jo-Ann Fabrics? I had no idea. But while we were shopping there was an advertisement for it over their system. So we went to the customer service desk and got my card. No questions asked. The discount is even on sale items. We saved a bundle.

Today has been icky, cold and rainy. Very typical fall weather. Hope you are all off to a great start for your week!

2 comments:

MOM #1 said...

Oh. Thanks for the explanation of the gourd issue. I'm going to have to make Baby Boy do a little research on it for me. I'm sure I can work it in as an assignment. I wouldn't want to take any time away from my blog and forum visits, LOL.

That discount from JoAnn fabrics wouldn't do anyone any good over here. There is absolutely no sewing going on.

Oh, and for the record. To this day. I heart Elmo.

Mel said...

Cool on the bins! Glad you are trying it out. To get our stuff to fit in the bin drawers I had to get rid of a few things...it didn't seem logical for my husband to have 3 different gray or black caps, as one example. So I pared everything down and gave away some of it with our old coats I didn't want any more either. I had no idea about the hs discount at Joanns. I go there all the time!