Saturday, September 13, 2008

Busy week, soggy day

What a busy week we've had. As usual, when things pick up around home, work increases. It has been manageable, but there hasn't been any time to spare.

We did 3 full days of homeschool. I'm quite pleased with the way they've gone. We did a lot of science. Violet aced her spelling! She's done very well with math. I think using only the Nobel Knights of Knowledge and no workbooks of any kind has helped. I'm thinking we'll go all the way through the program, then consider filling in a few gaps or doing some reinforcing with Miquon. Then we'll decide where to go next.

Violet has decided she does want to do more Try-it workshops with the other Juliettes and earn her Junior Aid patch. We looked through the book but haven't decided on which ones to do. I suggested she pick about 6 that she thinks she can lead a part of, and let the younger girls vote.

It has been raining the last 2 days. It is really soggy out. But if you've seen Chicago on the Weather Channel, that isn't us. We don't have a foot of water in the streets. We know the areas that are flooding like that. Some of them flood if you sneeze and don't cover your nose and mouth. You'd think they'd do something about it.

I got most of my work done today. I still have one more thing to go tomorrow. But I was saving it for last because (I think) it will be the easiest.

I don't have our school plan very firm for next week. I hope I can pull off school without too much complaint. You see, tomorrow night we learn if the local teachers will be going on strike beginning Monday. Violet is already wondering why she might have to do school if Red is home. And "can't we do less work so there is some time to play." Arrggh. Red doesn't get any slack when she's in school. She still has to go and do all her homework before she can play. We've only got one week in. I am not ready for us to take a break. And this whole strike thing still has me spitting mad. They need to stop their greedy extortion and get back to work and try to teach those kids something. Like to get out of the street when a car is coming. Seems like many of them don't get that. I'm always breaking while they take their sweet time crossing in front of me.

Thank goodness I don't send Violet to public schools.

No comments: