Saturday, August 30, 2008

Another nice day

Today was the Japanese Gardens. It was my mom's birthday, we were celebrating Violet's birthday with my folks, Mr. Incredible and I are celebrating our anniversary on Tuesday, and it was the anniversary of my mom's cat moving in with her. We made a day of it.

Quick side note for those of you who didn't know me then. Three years ago on August 30th Hurricane Katrina slammed in to my mom's hometown of Ocean Springs, Mississippi and the surrounding area. We still have a lot of family there including my mom's sister (her only surviving sibling) and cousins. Violet and I were at my parent's house (here in the North in case I'm getting confusing) watching CNN and the Weather Channel all day. Watching the Gulf Coast wash away. Seeing what didn't wash away get blown away. Unable to contact any family. Wondering if any family would still be there.

Suddenly we heard a meowing from outside. They don't have a cat. We went out and there was this small, scrawny, black and white cat. She immediately went to my mom and started rubbing on her. A quick call to the vet, a trip to have her checked out, a stop for a litter box and food, and Katrina the Cat had moved in, all before dinner time. On my mom's 63rd birthday. It was nearly a week before we heard from family. Katrina sat on my mom's lap purring the whole time.

Family was fine. Everyone had extensive property damage, but no one was hurt. Katrina is now a beautiful black and white cat, healthy, happy and still sitting on my mom's lap purring. She washed in with the storm and stayed.

Okay, maybe that wasn't a quick story, but it is important to see why her anniversary date is as important to our family as any birthday.

The five of us (Mom, Dad, Violet, Mr. Incredible and I) went to the Japanese Gardens for the day. We had lunch in their restaurant and walked through the gardens. We browsed the gift shop and Violet chose a couple of Momiji dolls for her belated birthday present. Lunch was great, the restaurant was lovely and the food delicious. The gardens were beautiful. We went back to my folks house afterward and had cupcakes. We got my mom a couple of field guides and a pair of sock monkey slippers. Katrina got a new package of mousie toys. It was really a nice day.

Now we have a few days off to relax and hang out. And watch Gustav. My mom is hoping he doesn't result in another cat for her.

2 comments:

MOM #1 said...

Sounds like you had a great outing. I can't believe Gustav has gotten so big and strong. We're all watching it with interest, concern, fear, etc.... who knows?

PhilO♥ said...

hope u had fun !! just came across your blog! it's nice !! keep blogging :)